RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheap Little Server - Share Ideas

Cow1200

I think it's a "religious debate" over the HP servers. I have two MediaSmart Servers, an HP EX487 and EX490 and they're great little boxes. no-control makes valid points about the MicroServer (essentially the next generation of MediaSmart Servers). They are a little more limited in what you can do, but they are not entirely locked down to where you can't do anything. In the case of both of my servers, I've kicked up the RAM and the processor. I could actually put beefy quads in them, but the E5300 processor was more than adequate for those server's intended purposes.

Four drive capacity, plus the ability to add an additional 5 drives via the eSATA port (on the EX490; the EX487 only supports a single eSATA Drive) makes the servers extendable in terms of storage, and with several USB ports and USB hub support, you can add virtually unlimited storage to them, thanks especially to good drive pooling software like Drive Bender and StableBit.

Look at it this way...ask yourself what you plan to do with the server. If the main objective is backups and file sharing, then an HP MicroServer will do you proud. It's a great bang for the buck, and will serve you well for that purpose. You can also throw some additional functionality on there without taxing it too much, like a home-based web page (in addition to the built-in remote access WHS 2011 or Server 2012 Essentials will give you) or an FTP Server.

On the other hand, if you're intending for this to be used for heavy duty HD streaming, media transcoding and a whole slew of other processor and memory hungry tasks, then a DIY server would be the better way to go so you can load up on the RAM and make sure the processor has plenty of meat on its bones.

Back to my HP EX servers...when the PSU quit in my EX487 a couple weeks back, I put the server on the market but then decided to repair it instead. One of the server's most endearing features is its small size. It's small, quiet, runs cool and isn't too hard on the electric bill.

^^ Well said. 

I get amused at some of the threads in here (not knocking anyone, as I said amused) at what amounts to trying to run an Enterprise class operation with a Microserver.  Could a MS be used in a scenario, perhaps, but only in a backup role or something similar,

I think our crowd likes the box because of the low power consumption, multiple configurations, and dare I say price $$$  !!  This machine is perfect for the SOHO and home environment but be realistic with your expectations.

Guest no-control

I look at it this way...

Are you the type who is willing to build or restore a car from the ground up?

or

Are you just wanting to put some rims and a loud exhaust on it?

This is the BYOB forum the weaksauce is here!  /thread

^_^

^^ Well said. 

I get amused at some of the threads in here (not knocking anyone, as I said amused) at what amounts to trying to run an Enterprise class operation with a Microserver.  Could a MS be used in a scenario, perhaps, but only in a backup role or something similar,

I think our crowd likes the box because of the low power consumption, multiple configurations, and dare I say price $$$  !!  This machine is perfect for the SOHO and home environment but be realistic with your expectations.

Exactly. I would never recommend an N40L to any mid to large enterprise. My relative's business is a perfect fit: a total of 5 computers, only 3 of which are true line-of-business machines. Perhaps the most important fact is that it adds functionality to the business that was completely lacking before. Given that 80% of all businesses are small, I think the MicroServer line has plenty of market room left. However, it is NOT the best fit for all situations. It's a great little computer but, like everything else, it has its limitations.

• 4 weeks later...

Because I'm tired of hearing about it and its an appliance not a home built server? Even though schoomdoggy make totally valid points.

Amen!