RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cheap Little Server - Share Ideas

Cow1200

Hey guy's I was looking into building a cheap min-itx server.  I wanted to share what I have found with the group.  If you have a better board or Ideas please share.

MB

GIGABYTE GA-E350N AMD E-350D APU AMD A45 FCH Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

Case
8.2L Mini-itx Case 1YR IP-S20

Case image

----
Ram 4GB     Note: MB can hold 16GB for $100 
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 

----
DiskSpace
Icy Dock 4 X 2.5" Hdd Sas/Sata Cage

Going with 2GB of ram price came to $170 + S/H  -  $220 some with 16GB of ram
=============
Would you go with a I3 or I5  and lower power cpu. keeping it cheap.

13-128-561-TS.jpg

spex_1022260086_650.png

20-231-394-TS.jpg

What are you planning to run on it?

The IcyDocks are great, but that is a lot of money if you do not need swapping.

In general i3's are plenty for most home server functions.

The N54L $239 right now.

Sometimes I think I push people toward Micro servers too often, but it has a lot to offer for the price;

(cut from a Deals post)

Newegg has HP ProLiant N54L 7 Server System AMD Turion II 2GB (704941-001) for $339.99 - $50 with Promo Code AFNJ0379 = $289.99 - $50 rebate = $239.99 with free shipping.

Guest no-control

To the OP's questions. The E-350 is fine for a basic server. i3 is standard and i5 is overkill, but unless you really are going to use the power  either delivers the E-350 should be fine.

2GB of RAM is OK I would suggest 4GB

You don't mention what size drives you are going to use nor how your plan to use them.

The operating system is mentioned either while I can assume WHS2011. Doesn't mean I'm right.

the case is a bit meh IMO, but to each his own.

Out of curiosity, have you considered an HP N40L? If you have, can you say why you ruled it out?

Because I'm tired of hearing about it and its an appliance not a home built server? Even though schoomdoggy make totally valid points.

Edited by no-control

Because I'm tired of hearing about it and its an appliance not a home built server? Even though schoomdoggy make totally valid points.

Overexposed or not, I was more interested to hear what he finds lacking in the Proliant Microservers. Exactly because they do offer so much for the money, I'm interested in the reasons people opt for other, usually more costly, options for their servers.

Guest no-control

Overexposed or not, I was more interested to hear what he finds lacking in the Proliant Microservers. Exactly because they do offer so much for the money, I'm interested in the reasons people opt for other, usually more costly, options for their servers.

Why choose a DIY solution over an appliance? Expandable, upgradeable, flexibility, better quality of parts, more powerful, less limitations, etc... I could on. 

So I guess my question is why a Microserver? The AIO APU solution OP posted provides everything the HP does and more.

Its the HP Media Smart Server 2.0.  Its a great little box for the money but its not the same as a custom solution. Sure its a nifty device, its also severely limiting unless you're a masochist. Have you not seen the number of posts on just compatibility of RAM upgrades? BIOS mods, WTH for? I understand its simplicity and price are attractive for entry level users, but the same can be said of NAS devices.

Edited by no-control

OK, those are your reasons. Now, how about others?

Now, why a Microserver? For one, it's so compact. That was a major criteria for me when selecting a server for my relative's business. The server had to fit into a small shelf space in the secure tech closet. There certainly was no room for a full size chassis, or even a mid size for that matter.

That said, the Microserver will serve their needs beautifully for the foreseeable future. It really has no limitations of any significance to them. I put 8GB into it, which is probably more than double what they need but, at the current price for RAM, I figured, "Why not?". They're only using about 600GB of the 2TB available, and their needs will grow slowly. In fact, that 600GB includes a bunch of redundant copies of files that I haven't purged yet. IOW, they're very well positioned for a long time. I suspect such a solution would work for a very large number of small businesses.

If I were building a general purpose server, WHS2011, and I wanted to keep the price down. I think I would consider this;

Xigmatek GIGAS Series CCC-MD26TA-U02 Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815017

6x3.5" bays and 2x2.5" and 2x5.25" lots of storage in a small case

TOPOWER TOP-800WS 800W ATX12V / EPS12V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817342033

8 SATA connections

ASUS E45M1-M PRO AMD E-450 APU AMD Hudson M1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131875

Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820576011

Total $305

Edited by schoondoggy

Hey guy's I was looking into building a cheap min-itx server.  I wanted to share what I have found with the group.  If you have a better board or Ideas please share.

MB

GIGABYTE GA-E350N AMD E-350D APU AMD A45 FCH Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

Case
8.2L Mini-itx Case 1YR IP-S20

Case image

----
Ram 4GB     Note: MB can hold 16GB for $100 
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 

----
DiskSpace
Icy Dock 4 X 2.5" Hdd Sas/Sata Cage

Going with 2GB of ram price came to $170 + S/H  -  $220 some with 16GB of ram
=============
Would you go with a I3 or I5  and lower power cpu. keeping it cheap.

I think I would swap your case and the IcyDock for this case and ps;

COOLER MASTER Elite 120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119261

4x2.5" internal

RAIDMAX RX-500AF

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152040