RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Practice query re DNS servers

Renny

Hi all

First up all is well with my home network, but a recent event with my wife's PC got me thinking.

First up, I am running WSE2012 but all clients are in Home Group mode (I'm a wimp I know)

My modem/Router points to my ISP's DNS Servers as primary and secondary.

My PC points to DYNDNS as I have a dynamic IP and it resolves to a ,com address for remote access. All good!

My wife's PC was having trouble resolving things like google,com or news.com.au in WE9 so I installed Chrome, same result.

Turns out her PC was pointed to the WSE machine for DNS which I presume was a hangover from opting out of the domain after the client connector was installed.

So I pointed the PC to my modem/router (10.1.1.1) and all seems to be good.

So my question is, is it better to set your DNS server on each PC as your access point or should I set the PC(s) to use an "external " address such as that of my ISP (which is the fastest) or DynDns, or Google etc)

Or, does it make no difference?

Your thoughts....

It would be a good practice to check each client after you install the connector software.  I use my ISP's DNS server as the primary and Google as the secondary, both of which are hard coded into the router.

I presume your router has a dynamic IP, Yes?

So you must manage internet access to your client PCs in what fashion?

I only need to access the server using the .remotewebaccess.com account or my PC using the .dyndns.com addresses.

Just curious,,

LogMeIn is what I use.  Now, I am still using 2011 but have used SBS2008 in the past and used No-IP.com for a DNS updater.  I think you will find that your external IP address rarely changes.

If your client PCs were members of the domain, I would say you really need to have them point their DNS to the Domain Controller. Since they're not domain members, it should be fine pointing their DNS to your router.

If you joined them to the domain, the connector software would automatically point them to the doamin.

^^ What he said. The only thing I would add is that, if you let them join the domain, you would want to ensure the server had its DNS configured correctly to forward DNS requests.