RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

BIOS Recovery key

ziki

In order to create a bios recovery key, does the HP have to an OS installed? Cause i need to flash the modded BIOS before i install windows on it. Is the recovery key unique to the machine? I mean if i just flash it and something goes bad and i dont have it, is it not possible for an owner of a similar machine to provide me with one?

I'm talking about the original key you have to make as a precaution. Cause the guide says prepare 2 sticks, one to retrieve the BIOS key and other to flash the modded BIOS. So it seems i first need to backup my BIOS? But the page i was looking at, shows that you need to run windows on the HP in order to grab the key, right?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=th&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=4248009&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=4248009&objectID=c03026340&adid=10428184&affpid=5334937&aoid=35252

I prepped my key on my Win7 desktop computer. I also did not use 2 keys. I prepped 1 key and copied both BIOS files to it. I simply copy the one I want to use to the default name that the flash utility is looking for.

As I indicated, my key does both. IOW, it's both a mod-BIOS flash key and a 'recovery' key (i.e. it has the stock HP BIOS as well). I simply modified the names of the BIOS files before copying them to the USB key, so the names would not conflict.

To change the USB key from a mod key to a recovery key I simply copy the appropriate BIOS file to the file name that the flashing software on the key will look for when the N40L is booted from the key. To do the copying, I just put the key into any computer that happens to be around.

Oh OK, now i get you.

BTW from what i can understand from the guide, In order to get the recovery key i have to run the rompaq.bat. But do i need to run it from the HP N40L itself, or any PC will do just fine? Cause what confused me in the beginning was that i thought getting the recovery key, can only be retrieved from the machine it concerns.

Ok so i can create a bios recovery from my laptop, and then copy the modified rom with a different name, and just use the one i want by correcting to the default name.

Ok so i can create a bios recovery from my laptop, and then copy the modified rom with a different name, and just use the one i want by correcting to the default name.

Basically, yes. However, I would make 1 change: I would use different names for both BIOS files and copy the one you want to use this time to the correct file name for the flash utility. This helps avoid any mistakes about which file is which.

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded and installed SP54344.exe from here but i dont see any ROMPAQ.BAT mentioned on the guide for taking the recovery key. So i just run HPQUSB.exe manually, and i have everything else except the .bat files. Does that mean i now have a working BIOS recovery key?

This is how the guide shows its supposed to look

c03026349.jpg

This is how mine looks now though

bios_key.JPG

I just downloaded and installed SP54344.exe from here but i dont see any ROMPAQ.BAT mentioned on the guide for taking the recovery key. So i just run HPQUSB.exe manually, and i have everything else except the .bat files. Does that mean i now have a working BIOS recovery key?

This is how the guide shows its supposed to look

c03026349.jpg

This is how mine looks now though

attachicon.gifbios_key.JPG

I believe you're good to go.  SP54344.exe gives you the most current HP BIOS for your machine which is #041 dated July 29, 2011 -- that's the most current BIOS available for the N40L's and the N54L's BTW.  If you look at your USB Key and in File Explorer you change it to show you the Hidden System files you should see 3 additional files:

clip_image018.jpg

When the key is loaded and the machine boot's up it see's the AutoExec.BAT file which does some simple error checking and then calls up Flash.Bat and it's Flash.BAT that actually loads the BIOS file -- the most current being O41072911.ROM (you can actually edit/view the AutoExec.BAT and Flash.BAT files -- just be careful!) NOTE: in the BIOS file name you can see the DATE of the file.  i.e. BIOS o41 dated 072911 thus O41072911.ROM

I believe the Key setup directions with RomPaq based on the BIOS currently on the MicroServer are more intended for users without a good internet connection or who don't want the most current HP BIOS for whatever reason it they had to restore the BIOS on their MicroServer.

Personally, I'd go with the most current factory BIOS and just use SP54344.exe (and HPQUSB.exe) to create my recovery Key with O41072911.ROM.  (that's also the BIOS that BIOS-MODS unlocked so they have the current one also)

BTW, you can use HPQUSB.exe to create a DOS boot Key and edit the batch files to install other things like a BIOS update for a HighPoint Card for instance.

I pulled the above pic from http://homeservershow.com/hp-proliant-n40l-microserver-build-and-bios-modification-revisited.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by Joe_Miner