RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard or Soft RAID for RAID 1?

rightclix

Hi guys

I made a bit of a error buying just 2 single 1xtb drives and i can't return them so i'll have to make do with what i have.

With that in mind what is the best option for me doing a mirrored set (RAID 1), which is the only option i guess.. correct me if im wrong.

So i'm looking for the least expensive method of doing this basic raid.

What do you guys use?

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• rightclix

• LoneWolf

It's a little hard to answer your questions because you haven't identified what you're trying to accomplish.

Also, you ask 2 contradictory things: what is the best vs what is the least expensive. Assuming RAID1 is the best solution for your situation, then software RAID will certainly be the cheapest.

What am i trying to accomplish, well given my limited knowledge on RAID and the current setup i have i'm assuming a mirrored set is the best option.

Can you shed some light on software RAID and what others may be doing/done with their N40L?

thanks

I meant, what is the end goal? What are you trying to do? For example, you didn't say you have an N40L. You haven't said what you plan to do with it, what OS you plan to run, how you plan to use it. Will it be a media server, file server, client backup server? What other services might you want it for?

IOW, a few more details would really help. :)

Ikon, but i have. I even spoke to you over pm a fortnight ago.

Link below on my original thread. No one really got back to me on that thread so i created a new more specific one to avoid members scrolling through reems of pages. Sorry maybe the title thread should have been a little more specific.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4788-what-i-hope-to-acheive-with-your-help/#entry51235

Sorry I didn't click on this right away. Dozens of posts are made every day on these forums, so it can be difficult to keep track of all of them. I do suggest, when starting a new thread, that you include the basic recap of what you originally asked, just so the thread makes complete sense.

OK, I quickly reviewed the thread you linked to. Since your main use of the computer is learning & experimenting, I can't see any reason to go hardware RAID; that is, unless you want to go hardware in order to learn about it. Otherwise, I would just use software RAID.

RAID-1 is a more simple type of RAID, than say RAID-5.  There won't be the same need for parity calculations, and as such, performance with a software RAID-1 doesn't take as much of a hit compared to hardware as RAID-5, though of course, a good hardware RAID card usually has an onboard cache to speed things up.

If this is experimentation or you're on a budget, software RAID-1 is fine.  If you're gunning for performance and willing to pay for it, hardware RAID is better, however, that'd mean you have the money to spend on a real controller, and if you do, I'd buy a third 1TB drive and go RAID-5; you'll get the best of all worlds.

I will look in to RAID 5 later on when i add bigger HDD's but not right now.

Any pointers, links, existing threads on software RAID and what i have to do to get it setup?

Thanks