RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Road map help on N54, new install of 2011

pcdoc

I'm a noobie on this so I ask dumb questions.  

1. Windows 7 allows me to back up HDD's and create complete images of the OS drive.  Mine is configured to back-up all files & folders on the data drives. It does this automatically on a schedule that I choose.   How is this different than a "Bare Metal" backup?

2. Other people on this forum have stated that WHS 2011 cannot be a domain server.  Still others have stated that WHS 2011 doesn't support VPN and they use SkyDrive and drive pool to get remote access with WHS 2011.  I can access and use SkyDrive with Windows 7 Pro.   Where is the difference between the two?   I am ignorant about this so I need education. 

3. WHS 2011 only supports 8GB RAM.  Windows 7 Pro supports 16GB in my N54L.   Other people on this forum have stated this makes a difference if you wish to create more VM's.  Again, I am ignorant on this and need clarification.  I know that the extra memory does improve the performance running applications I have on my server.   Things I have read here in this forum indicate that applications which will run on Windows 7 Pro will not run on WHS 2011 because the developers did not want large businesses to use inexpensive or free software to accomplish their mission.  What software will WHS run that Windows 7 Pro 64 bit will not?  A seperate question but still valid.

4. Because I put all my workstations and the server in a workgroup, and I set the access up to allow the workstations to access common drives on the server, I can stream media over my wireless network quite effectively.   I have had 3 movies streaming to seperate workstations while having Youtube videos streaming to a couple smartphones while transferring files between a couple HDD's of the workstation.   All the streaming was glitch and hangup free.  The file transfer was slow (500 - 700KB/sec) but it was nothing that I could attribute to OS on the server.   What type of media streaming do people do different than this?   

5.  I have a small business for which I want to use the server to host the website.  I am concerned that my configuration of workstations in workgroup is "too open" to allow this.   This may be my ignorance speaking but, I thought that having a domain server would allow me to essentially seperate the "public access" web site from the "private" workgroup and provide more security.   From what I have read here, WHS 2011 cannot be a domain server and does not allow the creation of domains.   From what I read in the Windows Seven forum, Windows 7 Pro can be used with a SAMBA domain controller to create domains.   I have not heard that SAMBA could be used with WHS 2011 to create domains.   Most everyone here has more experience than I when it comes to servers.   I would appreciate feedback on this.

6. I have already purchased a WHS 2011 disk and license.   I have Windows 7 Pro already installed on my N54L and it is up and setup with my workgroup.   I am hoping that this forum can give me sufficient reason to switch.  Maybe I ignorant of the true situation.  I am hoping that people here can educate me to better understand. 

We are really talking apples and oranges.  WHS excels at multi-system bare metal backup and file serving, along with better user and access control.

1. You are talking about 1 system,  If you have more than one your argument is not valid as WHS uses single instance backup greatly saving space.

2. WHS does support native access to your file remotely and windows 8 does not.

3. RAM is not a concern on a file server and 8 gigs is more than enough for WHS as the OS is more streamline.

4. Streaming is not a problem with WHS.  I have over 500 Blu Ray disks and stream 5 independent streams simultaneously.  This is more to do with network performance but again WHS is more efficient at doing this.

5. We now added a new twist as if you are looking for a domain server then neither will work.  Personally I think you are making a big mistake self hosting a web site.  Been there done that.  This is a great way to put your entire network at risk.  For 8 bucks a month, get a web hosting service.  It took less than 6 months to hack my table site.  Had that been on my network I would have in trouble.  Yes it can be done but it is not worth it.

6. In a nutshell, if you are looking to serve files, backup your system, and create a more secure environment with external access than there is only one choice WHS.  You are bringing a knige to a gun fight trying to use Windows 8 for multi system backup, streaming, and security.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• jmwills

• Just Checking

• mailman1988

Just Checking

Thank you jmwills and pcdoc. I appreciate the precise feedback.

I will not be hosting a website on my server. I didn't feel comfortable with the idea from conception but I needed to explore that as an option. Using a cloud site that I can access remotely is better.

In another thread J_M stated that WHS 2011 needs a minimum of 160GB for the OS Drive. Ikon stated that it could be implemented with 60GB. I have a free 120GB Samsung SSD and would like to put WHS 2011 on that so I can swap out the OS on the server to test independently. I know that is going to be a lot more complicated than just undocking one SSD and plugging in another SSD. I believe that there was an article on this forum where J_M described swapping out Server 2012 with another OS.

Any details on implementing WHS 2011 on a 120 GB SSD or being able to swap out OS drives effectively?

Edited by Just Checking
Joe_Miner

In More Interesting MicroServer Links you'll find a link to Installing Windows Home Server 2011 on a SSD in a HP MicroServer N40L which has a step-by-step for installing WHS-2011 on a OS drive Smaller than 160GB.  And, at PCDoc's post Running an SSD on WHS he shows how to clone a OS drive to a small SSD with Acronis 2012.

I've done it both ways -- been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  With SSD's running as cheap as they are -- especially Newegg's constantly reoccurring sales -- I'd just get a 240 or 256 SSD and be done with it.  

UPDATE: I noticed you have a 120G SSD now -- you could use one of the methods above to get up and running -- I wouldn't go out and buy another SSD -- unless of course it was a name brand deeply discounted.   If you wanted to upgrade the SSD later in WHS2011 you can do it like i did in Updating my WHS2011 installed on the N40L

Edited by Joe_Miner
Just Checking

Thanks J_M.  I appreciate the input.

In More Interesting MicroServer Links you'll find a link to Installing Windows Home Server 2011 on a SSD in a HP MicroServer N40L which has a step-by-step for installing WHS-2011 on a OS drive Smaller than 160GB.  And, at PCDoc's post Running an SSD on WHS he shows how to clone a OS drive to a small SSD with Acronis 2012.

I've done it both ways -- been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  With SSD's running as cheap as they are -- especially Newegg's constantly reoccurring sales -- I'd just get a 240 or 256 SSD and be done with it.  

UPDATE: I noticed you have a 120G SSD now -- you could use one of the methods above to get up and running -- I wouldn't go out and buy another SSD -- unless of course it was a name brand deeply discounted.   If you wanted to upgrade the SSD later in WHS2011 you can do it like i did in Updating my WHS2011 installed on the N40L

I read that, in these articles, you use Stablebit drive pool.  The purpose of this is so that you can make a raid.   I am still using mirrored drives.   Is there any complications you would forsee if I continue with that configuration?

Joe_Miner

Thanks J_M.  I appreciate the input.

I read that, in these articles, you use Stablebit drive pool.  The purpose of this is so that you can make a raid.   I am still using mirrored drives.   Is there any complications you would forsee if I continue with that configuration?

Hi Just Checking!

Mirrored Drives are RAID1 which is the most Reliable RAID .  I wouldn’t foresee any complications with RAID1’s and WHS2011 or S2012E.

ps1q02-long9.gif

DirvePool isn’t really a RAID – it’s more of a Drive Extender Replacement that allows you to “mirror” Folders instead of Drives and it does some of the management/house-work of moving folders and files between disks so that they are relatively distributed and DrivePool doesn’t care if you are using disks of different sizes.  See Drive Extender Replacements in MicroServer HardWare Links.

-snip-

or being able to swap out OS drives effectively?

Read the article The Icy Dock 5.25 Hot Swap Drive Caddy for a 2.5 and 3.5 SATA Drive DuoSwap MB971SP-B and read the 1st paragraph of the Section “Performance MicroServer”.  It’s pretty easy to swap OS drives and other drives – just be sure the first time you boot up after moving OS drives or a number of data drives to Hit F10 during Post and go into the BIOS and check & correct the Boot sequence as necessary.

Edited by Joe_Miner