RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Road map help on N54, new install of 2011

mailman1988

This is the Road Map that I was looking for. :)

Thank you very much.

I really like the idea of mirroring the OS with the 500g. What do I do with the remainder Disk space, or when I raid with the on board RAID that is not available. (This will be 1st forray into MBO Raid implemtation). Do I do O or 1? I'm guess that in this case I need the 250 & 500 implace right away.?

On the HP website, they have many Drivers for d/l. Do I need to install these or use the one's that 2011 will install? If so, which versions ? eg: Server 2008 Small Business??

So my HD layout will be:

OS as Raid x on drives 250 & 500 respectively.

2T Backups

2T Client Folders

External HighPoint RocketStor 5122B for Backup.

Thanks for helping me get ready for this install. I'm really looking forward to playing with the N54L. The best is that I get to do this with someone's else's investment.

:D

Edited by mailman1988
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• jmwills

• Just Checking

• mailman1988

Joe_Miner

Guess I will tell them to return it (Unopened). Unless someone feels I should use it. If so, what drive sequence order? (I have 2T, 2T, 500G, 250G)

Return the 500GB drive.  Use the 250GB for your OS drive.

Currently the plan is 1 drive for back ups and 1 drive for storage. Than as the Storage drive becomes filled, maybe add an additional drive to it.

Sounds like a good plan – keep it simple

Can I create a Mirror Raid after data has been written to the primary drive? I'm new to RAID's.

Check out HSS #216 http://homeservershow.com/drive-extender-replacements-for-your-server-on-home-server-show-216.html -- the Drive Extender replacements discussed in #216 might be a better solution that you can apply later after your clients system grows (and needs a more complicated solution).

1st, do I remove the Storage drives and load the OS by itself, then shut down, and insert the other drives to configure them or do I do it all at the same time during installation?

You could do it either way – personally, I’d do it with just the 250GB OS drive in the system – install WHS-2011 – then shut down and install the 2TB Data drive – start up the system & move the server shares to the Data Drive – shut down and install the 2TB backup drive – start up and set up the server backup.  Then Set up Crashplan.

2nd, there is a “Important Bios” upgrade SOP paper that came with it. Do I need to install this new BIOS update , prior to anything? Jcallison say’s don’t do it.

The current stock BIOS is dated 2011.07.29 (A) (25 Aug 2011) – if you have that (and I believe that’s what you have) then you are fine.

So now I'm ready to load in 2011. I'm hoping to do this at home and then move everything to their location upon completion. Will ip addresses change upon relocation?

Yes.

Is loading 2011 just like loading V1? with just a few changes?

It’s much like Win 7 – check Dave’s writeup http://www.informationweek.com/byte/personal-tech/desktop-operating-systems/how-to-install-windows-home-server-2011/231000924

• 2 weeks later...
mailman1988

The road map worked great. Now I just have to get use to 2011.

Took me a bit to figure out how to get to the stock Raid controller, once that was done, everything was a snap.

The N54 is Nice.

Post install.

I had to figure out how to obtain the connector software, as 2011 doesn't come with a disk (V1).

Now I connected 3 clients to the server. The 4th seems to be blocked and gets echo'd back everytime I try to connect to it. I think they have McAfee and Norton 360 running. I can't even ip address into the Server.

New Question: They asked me to try to have 2011 back up a folder on another Server. I believe it is running Server 2008. Can someone help me on this?

Thanks

jmwills

No software disc is needed.  You navigate to an internal website on the server...."http://server-name/connect">http://server-name/connect

As far as the backup issue is concerned, that's easy enough.  Create a Shared Folder on the 2008 box with "Share Permissions" set to Full and Everyone and "Security Permissions"; set as needed for the backups to run.

You might want to create a Service Account called Server Backup or something similar and give it the access to the Shared Folder under "Security Permissions" You can run a RoboCopy script with the Task Scheduler to actually perform the backup task.

Like jmwills, my first choice for the folder backup would be RoboCopy, but you have other choices. I believe you could use CrashPlan locally (and I believe it's free for this use), SyncToy, or other directory syncing software.

• 1 month later...
Just Checking

Does anyone know if I need to update the BIOS firmware on the N54L?

No, you do not “need” to apply the BIOS-MOD.  In fact, For a business environment I’d be reluctant to apply the BIOS-MOD – the more “stock” setup the better in that situation and as Jcollison noted in his configuration his data fits onto a 2TB drive and he saw no need to do the BIOS-MOD.  Having said that the BIOS-MOD is still worth "knowing" about.

Thanks for the links above. I'm working through them and learning lots.

If the business data needs fit well within 2TB then a possible configuration would be:

• N54L
  • 8GB ECC RAM (you should have at least 4GB IMHO for WHS-2011 but why not go 8 while you have the case open)
  • OS Drive: 500GB HDD will work (Must be bigger than 160GB)
  • Data Drive: 2*2TB Red’s mirrored (do this in Disk Manager)
  • Backup Drives: 2 or more (3 is better) 2TB external USB drives – set server backup to backup to the external drives twice daily with one external USB drive always connected and the other external USB drives rotated off site on a regular schedule.

• Consider backing up business critical data to CrashPlan-Business

Of course you can add lots more complications with RAID, DE replacements, BIOS-MOD, etc.

I recently purchased a license for WHS 2011 to play around with.  My N54L has Win 7 Pro 64-bit OS now.   My HW configuration is changing but

the most pertinent aspects are:

1. Mod-Bios

2. Vertex3 128Gb SSD as OS on Port 5 and 256Gb HDD on Port 6 as secondary

dump for SSD (as recommended by the Newegg SSD optimization FAQ).

3. 16Gb Kingston DIMM's

4. 2 mirrored sets of 3Tb HDD's in the 4 drive bays for the storage applications.

My questions are:

1. J_M states that a minimum of 160Gb of capacity is necessary on the OS drive to run WHS 2011.   Is this really true?   I have another 128Gb Samsung SSD that I was planning on installing this OS to and I am curious why the WHS 2011 takes so much room.   Windows 7-64 bit Pro, Full MS Office 2003, MS Office 2007, MS Office 2010, Apache Office, Nero, DVDFab, Daemon Tools, Firefox, IE 10, Cisco VPN, Skype, Minitab16, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop CS, and a bunch more applications do not take up more than 70Gb fully installed.  

2. J_M has stated that WHS 2011 only allows 8Gb of RAM.   Is this really true?   That seems kind of stupid and shortsighted on the part of Microsoft since servers have been using a lot more memory that 8Gb for awhile.   I am new at this server thing so I am no expert.   I want an OS that has the capability to recognize and use the hardware I have (the Kingston server memory modules that J_M recommended are pricy - but they were the only ones that worked out of the four different sets I tried).

3. Can I run all my applications on WHS 2011 like on Windows 7 Pro?   This is my home/small business server and it will do dual duty for business applications and media applications.  I want to be able to run all the software programs I currently am able to run with the Windows7 configuration. 

4. Can I run Windows 7 Pro 64 bit as a domain server, or do I have to go to something like WHS 2011 to create domains?  I currently run the network as a workgroup since I don't have that many workstations and everything is internal.   In the future, I wish to incorporate remote access to files and services like streaming media out to devices like cellphones and laptops in the field.  I want to be able to have a VPN.  I also want to be able to have the server host my company website.   The thought of doing something like that (allow the world to have access to part of the network from outside) with just a workgroup makes me cringe.  

5. Can I run WHS 2011 as a VM to take care of those tasks which it is best at and still have Win 7 Pro to run as the main OS if WHS 2011 only can utilize 8Gb of RAM?   If so, is it possible to have WHS run as the domain server to control all the security and priority protocols?  

6. How do people maintain proper security for things like a web server or vpn while allowing potential clients or employees to get access to the information they need?  Is it best to have a seperate server for external stuff?  If so, how do you prevent it getting hacked just to let some mailbot post spam to the world?  Yes I do know about firewalls.  I am just apprehensive (mainly because of my ignorance) that I am leaving my entire network very vulnerable to destruction if I start letting users and outside clients have access to parts of my network.

I have only started thinking and learning about this stuff about a month ago and this is isn't my livelihood so forgive my stupid questions.  This is the first network I have ever built or worked on.

Just Checking

Another thing I would like to do is to be able to utilize the computatiional capacity of individual workstations to perform tasks for the entire network.   Is there software, or an OS that allows this to happen?   I know that this is possible and has been implemented elsewhere.  Examples of this include the SETI software you can download to your home pc which allows them to utilize your pc to process astronomical data and send that back over the www.   Intel did something very similar back in the 1980's when they put a huge number of microprocessors together to make the fastest supercomputer at that time.

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to accomplish this for my network.  Anyone know something about this?

1. I  believe you can create an answer file that will permit you to install WHS2011 on even a 60GB drive.

2. Yes, WHS2011 only supports 8GB of RAM. This is because it's a Home server, not business. MS doesn't feel a home server needs more than 8GB. They don't want businesses using it.

3. You cannot necessarily run all Win7 applications on WHS2011. It depends whether the app developer permits it to run on Windows Server OS. One example where this is often restricted is backup software. Some backup software companies will not allow their low end product(s), the ones designed specifically for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 to run on any version of Windows Server. They don't want businesses using their lowest priced/free edition software. Basically, you have to test.

4. No, you cannot run any Windows Desktop OS as a Domain Server. BTW, WHS2011 cannot be a Domain Server. WSE2012 has to be a Domain Controller.

5. Yes, you can run WHS2011 in a VM, but I wouldn't recommend trying it with Win7 as the host. And, again, WHS2011 cannot be a Domain Controller.

6. I will leave this to others much better qualified than me to answer.