RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

External IDE enclosure

usacomp2k3

Has anyone seen a cheap 3-4 drive external USB drive that will take E-IDE drives and connect via USB. I'd probably want something like RAID5 built-in if possible.
I'm thinking of using some of the old drives I have and built an external backup solution for weekly/monthly backups of important data.
Any recommendations?

Have only seen sata. might be tricky to find what you are looking for. Will keep my eyes open and looking for it.

Is using older IDE drives really going to gain you much? Unless they're big drives, you'd probably be better off buying a newer SATA enclosure and buy an inexpensive 1.5 or 2TB drive. Load up one bay with that, and expand as demanded by your backup needs. You won't be locked into an old technology enclosure when you want to put in larger drives, just a thought....

Mike

Follow Me On Twitter: ThatGeekGuy
Tech News, Great Buys, Reviews & More....

No, it's not going to gain me much. I was was going to take advantage of some extra drives I have laying around.

The one I use (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332008) seems to be discountinued. This is the same device known as "The Terk" on the TV series "THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES".

I have looked around on Newegg and it doesn't look like anyone is making multi drive IDE external enclosures anymore. You may be able to find something on Ebay. :(

Mike