RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Mr Bill

VPN Hardware

Mr Bill

A friend is looking for a VPN solution for when they travel overseas. I know that they are service providers that provide this service for an ongoing cost. What is available as an easy plug and play solution that can be added onto their home network that would provide the same functionality?

Sorry, I myself am new to the topic of VPN but an aware of them and have used them when pre-setup for me.

I am not sure if there is just a device to add to a network that would accomplish this task after opening ports on the router to support this.

Thanks for your time.

Mr. Bill

jmwills

So the user is trying to reach back into their home network for data?  If so, most SOHO routers provide that functionality with no third party app required.

schoondoggy

A VPN can be a separate device, but for home use it is usually built into a router or firewall. A VPN is a great way to access an entire network. If they are just trying to access a pc in their home I would recommend a software solution like LogMeIn or TeamViewer. TeamViewer is free for personal use and is very low latency.

Edited by schoondoggy

Mr Bill

They don't need to get into their private network. Some countries block Skype and via a VPN to the states, Skype will work.

Only internet access is needed, not local network connectivity.

jmwills

Sounds like they need a proxy server instead.

ikon

I'm wondering if they can overcome Skype being blocked simply by using a fixed port number. As a bonus, Skype performs better when using fixed ports.

My thinking is that people who block Skype do it by detecting and blocking the default ports that Skype uses to contact SuperNodes, thus preventing the establishment of a connection. Fixed Skype ports avoid the SuperNodes.

schoondoggy

What countries are they traveling to?

My cousin travels to China lot of web traffic and sites are blocked.

I will need to check with him, but I think TeamViewer worked from China.

Edited by schoondoggy

cskenney

Sounds like they need a proxy server instead.

This is exactly what I had to use the last time I was in China for 2 weeks.

ikon

Which one did you use cskenny, and how did you use it?