RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N36L refresh

schoondoggy

I am updating my N36L to be used for testing things like FreeNAS.

I have 4 1TB drives in the 3.5" hot swap bays. I had 4 750GB 2.5" drives that were removed from laptops I installed them using this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997041

Parts;

wp000314w.jpg

Ready to sandwich together;

wp000315v.jpg

4 2.5" drives and a slot load DVD all in a 5.25" slot;

wp000316k.jpg

I am a little concerned around heat, but they are 5400 RPM so they should stay fairly cool.

I installed a LSI SAS3081E to drive all 8 drives. I had to convert it from a RAID card to a HBA, I want to play with things like ZFS. Still working through a few issues, cant access the LSI BIOS during boot. More to follow.

I like the slot-load option.

If you are worried about heat, I wonder if there would be a way to mod a fan into that area of the case?

I would at look into the possibility of drilling holes on the sides of the Silverstone "enclosure" for cross-flow ventilation.

The only issue I have run into with the Silverstone is there is no eject button for the DVD. To use this long term your OS needs an eject command.

Good idea on the fans. There is room under the DVD and in front of the drives. I found 20mm fans that may fit. 

If you're good (and careful) with a drill bit, might be able to put a hole where the eject button should be, and fabricate one with a small bit of metal.

Alternately, getting a faceplate, from, say a 5.25" Pioneer DVD-ROM (they made slot-loads) might work, if you could extend how the eject button makes contact.  For that though, you'd probably have to do more cutting work with the front of the Silverstone enclosure.

snip...

I installed a LSI SAS3081E to drive all 8 drives. I had to convert it from a RAID card to a HBA, I want to play with things like ZFS. Still working through a few issues, cant access the LSI BIOS during boot. More to follow.

...snip

I am curious....and ignorant on some of this stuff.  What is a HBA and why did you have to convert from a RAID card to a HBA?

I am curious....and ignorant on some of this stuff.  What is a HBA and why did you have to convert from a RAID card to a HBA?

Great question, some LSI cards had two versions of the firmware, IR and IT. IR firmware made them a RAID 0, 1, 10 card. IT firmware made them a HBA (Host Bus Adapter) or JBOD or Pass-Through card which ever term you prefer. In IT mode the card can talk to drives or external SAS enclosures or SAS expanders. Currently, I want to play with ZFS, FreeNAS, NASfree, and the RAID functionality they do on their own. I had the card laying around and thought this would be an easy way to get all 8 drives on the same card.