RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Varying transfer speed HP N40L

Martin

Hi

Just got done setting up my new HP N40L running WHS 2011. Awesome little machine  :D

The problem I had was that I got terrible speeds, turned out that one of my cables were bad. Tried hooking up the server to my PC, no switches or anything. My transfer speeds then improved straight away but the problem is that it's not stable.

For testing purpose I used a 1.98GB Mp4 file. The transfer maxed out at about 75-80 MB/s while the slowest was about 10 MB/s. The graph for the file transfer looked like a sinus wave. 

Is this normal or is there a setting that I missed?

I'm on my way to buy some new cables now and hopefully everything will be solved.

Cheers

// Martin

Reseat the drives and RAM just to eliminate those areas.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.

You didn't say which kind of cable was bad: network? SATA? power?

It was the network cable between the switch and my main PC.

Hah, I just noticed: sinus wave  :D  LMAO. That's what's slowing your network speeds - too many boogers :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm not sure what the cause may be; there are a lot variables. The only way I know of to break it down is to divide the problem in half repeatedly until the cause is isolated.

The first thing I would do is to see if the issue is one of the computers rather than the other. If you have another client computer, try copying files back and forth from it to the server, and compare the results to the ones you just got.

Then, try copying files back and forth between the 2 client computers and compare the results to the other 2.

I think, for the moment, all these tests should be done with direct cabling. I would introduce switches and other cables later.

Hah, I just noticed: sinus wave :D LMAO. That's what's slowing your network speeds - too many boogers :rolleyes:

How funny, I thought the same exact thing.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.

Take the drives out and put them back in to make sure they are all properly seated in the slots.  This goes for the RAM modules too.

Like what all the responders said before me, check the  hardware first.  And....and I am not saying this is your case.  I have experienced folks that have inadvertently used an old school CAT cable that only did 10 Mbps rather than Cat 5 and above standards.  Also I have seen Nic cards that go bad that cause this issue.  The Nic card will function on a limited basis rather than just completely stop working. 

And never forget the old Full Duplex/Half Duplex conflict issue. Mis-matched duplex settings can royally screw up network performance. That's not such an issue these days, now that so many people are using Gigabit, which has no Half Duplex option.