RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Desk

To partition or not partition 3TB drives?

Desk

Hi guys,

I'm in a quandry about whether I should partition the two 3TB Western Digital Red hard drives I've purchased for my N40L.

I know that WHS 2011 will automatically seek to split them into 2TB and 1TB, and I also know how to get around this by installing via Drive Manager, but which is best?

* I don't plan on having anything on these drives that would require WHS 2011 to back them up.

* I'm using Stablebit DrivePool and will simply select that it mirrors certain folders, if there's data I want to protect.

* Consequently, I don't plan on using RAID

* I don't particularly want to have to wade through 12 different drive letters, if I go on to add a further three storage drives.

So, is there any obvious disadvantage to adding these unpartitioned as full 3TB drives? Will I lose performance? Is there some future issue I haven't considered, and which will leave me stuffed when these drives are full and I can't partition them?

If anyone can offer a little advice, or just tell me what to do, I'd be very grateful.

Desk

Edited by Desk

jazzerjay

I have 3TB drives in mine (not red though).  Just format GPT and enjoy the 3TB goodness.  You won't lose performance. Stablebit works great with 3TB drives.  

diehard

Ditto, You can also remove the drive letters from StableBit DrivePool and the drives will continue to work. You will just see the pool drive letter listed. This is nice if you want it less cluttered. You still get the pie charts. You can always revert back if you don't like it.

Desk

I appreciate the reassurance, guys - and that's also very interesting to learn about Stablebit DrivePool's ability to hide drive letters, HSS Elite. I'll have to look into that, assuming there'll be a guide to it somewhere on the Dashboard add-in.

The N40L together with WHS 2011 is a great piece of kit, and I've really enjoyed the whole learning process.

Many thanks,

Desk

Edited by Desk

diehard

I appreciate the reassurance, guys - and that's also very interesting to learn about Stablebit DrivePool's ability to hide drive letters, HSS Elite. I'll have to look into that, assuming there'll be a guide to it somewhere on the Dashboard add-in.

The N40L together with WHS 2011 is a great piece of kit, and I've really enjoyed the whole learning process.

Many thanks,

Desk

There is no guide to remove the drive letters. You use Disk Management. Right-click the drive, properties, remove drive letter. stablebit will use the DiskID  info for it's pooling.

ikon

^^ What he said. Removing drive letters is 1 of those so simple things that no one makes a guide for it.

jmwills

All of these software options , in some way, reference back to the Serial # of the drive so it is always helpful to keep track of things like that.