RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Highpoint RocketRaid 2720 and Crucial M4 SSD

marky9074

So I have spent the last six hours going around in circles.... Got all my bits for my HP Microserver build and run it all up. I knew that I would have to update the firmware in the RocketRaid, but as the options were 'floppy disk or windows update when drivers installed' I thought I would get the OS on and then update.

I proceeded to create two arrays, the first a mirror of the two M4 SSD and the second a RAID 10 from the 4 x WD Reds. All went well but I noticed it said they were SATA300. Booted Windows Server 2012 Essentials and installed the driver, and started the install, then shortly after I heard the howling scream of an alarm from the mobo... restarted and repeated and the same alarm (unfortunately I didn't catch it when it happened.. maybe during one of the reboots)...

This time I rebooted and tried again but windows setup stated that it couldn't create a partition (on the blank drives).. hmmmm time to flash that BIOS update after all. So I popped the card out of the microserver (no mean feat) and put it in a client Dell workstation with Windows 8. Installed the drivers OK and went to flash with the windows program.... 'no controller card detected' even though it is in devices OK with the drivers installed. So then I started a search for a USB update which made me stumble across this site:

http://journal.drfaulken.com/how-to-update-a-highpoint-rocketraid-2220-raid-card-bios-without-a-floppy-disk-drive/ 

This worked well, but once all back in the microserver the 2720 BIOS now stated that I don't have enough drives to do a RAID1 when I selected the two M4's (the RAID 10 on the Reds worked OK)....

OK I thought, maybe the M4's need a firmware update too, so this was done next, but alas still the RocketRaid states that I don't have enough drives... so I am stumped and tired...

Unless you guys can help me out I will be putting them on the onboard SATA/RAID tomorrow morning... hope someone can help!

Here are the screens showing the current drives and what happens when I select to create a mirror....WP_20130307_001.jpgWP_20130307_002.jpg

Have you tried using the GUI from inside Windows?  i.e, the HighPoint application.

If you have to buy the SSD drives as opposed to using ones (Spindles) you have around, I'd stick with the spindles.  There is just not much to be gained, IMO. I'd use nothing less than 7200 RPM drives.  

Put the money into RAM if its burning a hole in your pocket.

Hi guys,

I don't have an OS... so no, I haven't tried the web interface, though I guess I could rip it back out again and put it back in a Dell to try...

Is this a Modded BIOS?  Check to see of the ports are set to AHCI and not back to IDE if you modded the BIOS.

No its not a modded BIOS, it is completely stock. Why would a modded BIOS affect the drive detection within the RocketRaid BIOS? Or did you mean a modded RocketRaid BIOS?

Good point... I just created a 6 drive JBOD and that worked OK.... that said, when I try a 2 drive JBOD it still states not enough disks...

Edited by marky9074