RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows RT as a client?

hfournier

IMO, it compounds issues with regards to WHS 2011.

You are correct. I will move to a domain soon, as I use WHS2011. For people that don't use  Microsoft server product at home, HomeGroup is a good solution.

You are correct. I will move to a domain soon, as I use WHS2011. For people that don't use  Microsoft server product at home, HomeGroup is a good solution.

You can accomplish the same end goal by doing a little studying on Sharing (Permissions and Security) on a home LAN.

You can accomplish the same end goal by doing a little studying on Sharing (Permissions and Security) on a home LAN.

I know, but when you are helping someone that is a total novice HomeGroup is a easy way for them to share their stuff.

I am working on a post on setting up and troubleshooting HomeGroups.

My concern with HomeGroups is security. It won't happen on my network if I can help it, but I do worry about people who have poorly secured wireless networks and use HomeGroups. To me, it potentially leaves their entire network open for the picking.

Exactly...it's wide open and novices usually don't do anything to secure their networks.

Guest no-control

For a novice user security isn't a priority getting it working is. So a worthy compromise in my eyes. That being said Homegroup is IPv6 and dont get me started on IPv6 vulnerabilities.

• 2 months later...

Yes, you can use Windows Rt as a client for Server 2012 Essentials (and no, you don`t need to use homegroups. I set this up myself as soon as I got my Surface RT and have been using it without issues for the last 6 months.

You can add shared folders to your libraries in order for RT apps (like photo`s and video`s) to be able to see your media, and of course you can also browse the shares in windows explorer via the desktop. You`ll need to specify your domain credentials when connecting to the share, and click "remember these credentials". Make sure you don`t use map network drives - instead use the UNC path to the share i.e. \\server\sharename

Once the shares are added to your libraries, youre good to go. These settings will survive a reboot.

You can also use the My Server app for RT in order to view alerts and view backup status.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEsQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fredmondmag.com%2Farticles%2F2013%2F01%2F31%2Fmy-server-app-for-windows-8-or-windows-rt.aspx&ei=AwmSUfWrDM2Uswbs2oHgCA&usg=AFQjCNF9JFJrymeN5mQmKpwYveZTwKon1g&sig2=5V3xlaRHdwrzLcS1SJJ3_Q