RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows RT as a client?

hfournier

Is there anyway to add a Windows RT client to WS2012E? I tried the standard server/connect route, but you just get an error that the software can't run on Windows RT. Couldn't find anything in the Windows 8 Store.

This seems like a pretty big hole. If this server is meant to replace WHS and SBS both at home and small businesses, it should not be a surprise that people will be buying tablets and some of those will be running Windows RT.

Found this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserveressentials/thread/9c709e94-a8b8-4d35-bfe7-ac90e995467c

so I guess that answers that... a big NO.

Edited by hfournier

Guest no-control

Not sure what you were aiming for with this. WindowsRT doesn't work like 8. There's really nothing to backup. Configuration and user settings are tied to your skydrive. Programs are in the Store and just need to be re-downloaded. Your data should be on skydrive not local only. The SDcard is separate from the rest of the OS so that's an entirely different issue. This is a tablet so there isn't any direct domain capabilities (dumb in my opinion), EAS is the only option for MDM. System backup is a moot point, using a refresh would only reinstall the OS leaving data and programs intact.

You've already found the short answer which is no, but was there a reason you wanted to connect this?

I'll echo what no-control said: the Surface RT is designed to use the cloud for backup. Since it only runs 'Metro' apps, and MS keeps track of which ones you own, you can just re-install them from the Store any time you want.

Yep, it's a big NO.  However, the cloud backup with your Live ID and RT works awesome.  I've wiped mine to test it and was very happy with the results.  Same goes for Windows 8 in general.  If RT goes gangbusters and every business has them maybe MS would consider an enterprise tool to roll them out or apply safeguards for users but as it stands now it works just fine.

But there's more than backups at issue. The server is where all our media files are stored. It would be nice to have access to those folders without having to add them to each Library for each user. The My Server app in the Windows 8 store gives you a dashboard, but that's not something I want to give Joe User. We need a My Server for Users app.

Guest no-control

All you have to do is add the the shares to the library properties for each user. I don't see how that is more difficult or less time consuming than trying to add the connector software.

Is it actually necessary to add the folders to the local library? Is it not possible to simply go to the Desktop and use Windows Explorer to access the shared folders?

I am typing this on my RT as I am listening to music from a shared folder on my workstation.

I have a HomeGroup to set up sharing.  

OMG, the dreaded H word :D

Seriously, there are quite a few posts about issues when trying to use HomeGroup with WHS2011, but from a desktop OS computer it should work fine.