RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help with a 2TB drive

ikon

I've got a WD 2TB drive that was part of a Spanned Volume of 5TB, but has been removed from the volume. However, it's still showing up as 5TB. Does anyone know of a way to completely initialize a WD drive back to factory defaults, with no config info on it?

Why not just download the vendor's drive tools and low level the drive. You can
scan for bad sectors before starting over. That way if there was a problem with
the drive when it was removed you will find it beforehand.

From an administrator command prompt run diskpart, select the disk and run the clear command.

Edited by Technogod
  • Like 1

DiskPart doesn't work. Tried it several times.

I haven't been able to find any WD tools that would reconfigure the drive. The tool I did find was basically diagnostics. It can write zeroes to the drive but it didn't say anything about resetting the drive to factory defaults.

A few more details. The drive was in a spanned volume in a Lian-Li EX-503. After first posting my question I tried one more thing. I attached the drive to a Server 2K8 box and used Disk Manager to Initialize the drive and then create a 2TB volume. So, on another system, connected directly to a USB HDD dock, the drive doesn't show up as 5TB. When placed back in the EX-503, connected to my WHS, the drive shows up as 5TB again, even though it was formatted as 2TB on the 2K8 box.

I've tried the EX-503's Clear RAID and MultiPort setting several times, in different ways, to try to clear the configuration, but no dice.

I came to the conclusion that I need some tool that can reset the firmware to factory settings, but haven't been able to locate 1.

If worse comes to worse, I will have to write this drive off for use in the EX-503, which would be annoying. 

Problem solved. Blame it on my aging eyes :P

There are 4 DIP switches on the EX-503 that determine what RAID level the box will run at. I thought I had selected Clear RAID and MultiPort by setting all 4 switches low. It turns out I misread which part of the diagram was the switch and which part was the background. The correct setting to clear the RAID is all 4 switches high. I just did that and now the drive is showing up correctly in my WHS.

Sorry for the confusion guys. I've already given myself 40 lashes with a wet noodle B) 

Darn, and I was just about to pull out the suggestion of a PartedMagic LiveCD. ;)

Glad you got it fixed, ikon.