RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Missing HDD - physically remove, or remove thru console?

boldfin

I woke up this morning and noticed one of the blue LEDS on my trusty EX495 was out.  Sure enough, the data drive in Bay 2 has apparently failed.  It now shows as "missing" in the Console.  

I have folder duplication on only one of the folders in one of the user shares.  The data in that folder is not critical, so it is not backed-up anywhere.  I'm not sure why I even had duplication set up for that folder.  It's been years since I looked at that particular setting.  The rest of the data in all other folders is backed up elsewhere, and can be restored if necessary.

In the console, it shows several folders are failing, so I think the end result of this failed drive is going to be an extensive data recovery process - not that I am particularly familiar with the process.  At least I do have the data backed-up.   

Am I better off just physically pulling the failed HDD out of Bay 2, or should I try to remove it first through the console? When I click on "remove" in the console, I get a warning that any data on that drive will be permanently lost.  Since I have backups of all the critical data, I'm not sure I should be concerned about that.  But is it even worthwhile to take that step.  I guess I'm wondering if I can save time by skipping that step, and just installing a new drive.

While I'm on that subject (of installing a new drive), I have a few "new" Seagate 2GB drives.  I'm sure they have the Advanced Format.  This is just going to be a data drive.  Do I need to do anything to align this drive before installing it in the server?

Appreciate any pointers you all can give.

Um, you said it's an EX495, but you haven't said what OS you're running. That's kinda important re: the advanced format drive.

OK, v1 is based on Server 2K3 so it can't handle advanced format drives. The drives would have to be realigned. I have done this with older WD Green drives but I haven't done it in quite a while. I've never done it with Seagate drives because I don't use them.

Since you've got backup, you could skip the drive removal step. You just want to be really, really sure your backup is 100%. I don't know how many backup copies you have of your data but, if it's only 1, you might want to think about increasing it. I have 4 to 5 copies of all my data, 1 of them always off site.

I have two copies of my data.  Basically, the only data that ever went on my server came from client PC's - where the original files still reside.  I also used a cloud backup service on the client PC's for the offsite.

The only thing I don't have copies of on client PC's or elsewhere are ripped CD's and DVD's.  Those files were in the one duplicated folder on my WHS.  If there were a way to get those back without having to re-rip, that would be nice.  But I guess there's no way to get those files back since the drive failed - correct?

I'm thinking now might be a good time to migrate over the WHS2011. I have a copy of WHS2011, and four new Seagate 2GB drives. Since all my data is available off the server, I'd just need to get WHS2011 up and running on my EX495, and then copy over the files from the client PC's.  You can probably tell I'm not an expert on all of this, but are people still generally pleased with WHS2011? 

Glad to hear you have 2 copies. As far as the video rips are concerned, you might be able to get them back by using SpinRite. A good test to see how viable this might be would be to shut down the EX495, remove the faulty drive and connect it to another PC, say in a USB HDD dock, and see if it's detected by the system. If it is, then the drive likely isn't completely dead. In that case SpinRite might be able to rejuvenate the drive enough to make it readable, at least long enough to get the rips off of it.

NOTE: SpinRite costs $89 and there is no trial version. In this case I think it's a toss-up as to whether it's worth it.

I've been running WHS2011 almost since it was released and it's been very reliable.