RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backups Full

joem

I have a 3 terabyte drive that I use for a full server backup.  The backups have grown to take up 90 percent of the drive.  I have spent about 2 hours trying to figure out how to delete some of the data from the drive without formatting it and starting fresh backups.  For some reason just can't find out how to do it.  Any help would be appreciated.  I can't believe it can be this complicated.  I know on my previous v1 home server you could simply go in and delete old outdated selected backups. 

I think I have the answer.  You have to go into the "Client computer
retention policy"  and adjust how long you want to retain certain backups, etc.  The key though is after you do this go to
Task scheduler on the server and run "cleanup".  Drill down to that via these instructions:

1. Log on to the server with your administrator user
    account and password.
  2. On the server, open Task Scheduler. You can
    access the Task Scheduler program from the Administrative Tools
    console.
  3. In Task Scheduler, expand Task Scheduler Library,
    expand Microsoft, expand Windows, and then click Windows
    Server
  4. Click the Cleanup task, and then click Run
    in the Actions pane. The Status changes to Running until the
    task is complete.

The default policy is the following:
Number of days that daily backups are retained: 5 days

• Number of weeks that the last backup of the week is
    retained: 4 weeks
  • Number of months that the last backup of the month is
    retained: 6 months

After adjusting this and running cleanup you then will be able to ascertain if what you did is adequate.  If not enough cleanup then adjust accordingly.  I know n my case I don't need to 4 weeks for the last backup of the week and 6 months for the last backup of the month.

Edited by joem

Good notes there joem. It's not info that hasn't been posted before, but it's good to have it laid out as you did. I'm sure more than a few people will pick up on it.

You shouldn't have to do anything. One of Microsoft's updates fixed the problem of the Server Backup filling up. My Server now deletes the oldest back and I never have the Server Backup Full message.

I can't figure it out.  I ran another backup and the disk only has 8 percent left.  Do I have to format the backup drive and start over again?  I don't know how to  remove old backups from the disk. I guess there is a glitch in my server that won't delete the old backups before it fills up.  I wonder at what percentage it starts to delete backups?  My drive is 92 percent full now. 

Edited by joem

OK.  I found out the server will take care of the problem and to just ignore the alert. 

Followup: I notice that the old backups are deleting as needed.  Also as of today I no longer see the alert about being low on space since it there is less than ten percent free space even though there is only one percent free space. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Joem, the procedure you described in the second post only works for the client backups, doesn't it? Aren't you talking about the server backup?

As far as I read on the web so far, the server automatically deletes the oldest server backup which I think isn't the greatest way to do it. I don't need a daily backup for the last 2 months but nothing older than that. I wish you could define a retention policy the same way you can do it for the client backups. In my opinion that would make a lot more sense.

I guess I have to find a different way to backup my server.