RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help with parts for ESXI build

Robbster

Hey guys,

Just want to say that this forum is awesome, have learned a lot of stuff recently, since I joined, thank you.

I really want to build my own ESXI server. Cause it seems to give a lot better performance for about the same amount of cash as an OEM.

What I want to achive:

*Fileserver
*Windows 2012 Server

*Torrents
*Sharing data within my LAN

*Some VM's for lab
*Running 24/7

I want help to pick the best motherboard, memory and cpu for maximum 400 dollar.

Intel or AMD doesn't really matter, formfactor at motherboard doesn't either. But I prefer mATX compared to ATX.

Have been looking at this CPU: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103962

RAM doesn't really matter as long as it is 1333 MHz 16 GB.
I have zero ideas when it comes to motherboards really so would like some help here.

Maybe the hardest part here is to know it is compatible with ESXI.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

With love from Sweden!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• Robbster

The first place I would visit would be the compatibility section over at the VMWare sites to insure what you are buying will work with ESXi, which is very hardware particular, and I mean VERY.

Thanks for both answers!

MOBO  & CPU

RAM

All compatible

That is great. From what I have understand, every AMD FX CPU is compatible. Is that right?

And if we talk motherboard and chipset? Which AMD chipset is compatible?

I have been looking over at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware#AMD_based

And from what that list is saying, any FX CPU should be fine. And for chipset: the 890FX & 9-series. Am I getting this right?

Thanks for all your help!

The first place I would visit would be the compatibility section over at the VMWare sites to insure what you are buying will work with ESXi, which is very hardware particular, and I mean VERY.

Okey, I have been looking very much over here: http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/search.php and I dont get any out of that site. What so ever. Only OEM stuff.

So any chance that you refer to another webpage? Or you could help me out with it?

That's the page especially for add on devices like RAID Cards.

The vmware page?

Do you know anything about compatible parts (motherboard and cpu) and where I can find it?

Start by selecting the version, partner name, and system type.  For example, no ASUS MOBO's are reported to be compatible, however Gigabyte are.

Guest no-control

All AMD 990FX boards are compatible regardless of manf. Same goes for the CPU. They all Support IOMMU which is the only thing you need to be concerned with. I would be concerned with the add-on cards such as RAID controller NICs, etc...

The problem with your question is you list specific uses for this server without telling us how many VMs you want to achieve these uses. You only mention 1 OS Server2012, but If you're using 2012 why not just use Hyper-V its better for 99% of the uses you listed above. At this point the only reason I can see to use ESXi is educational or PCI passthrough, especially in a home environment. Hyper-V benefits from windows drivers making just about any hardware compatible.

Just a thought before you run out and buy stuff.

All AMD 990FX boards are compatible regardless of manf. Same goes for the CPU. They all Support IOMMU which is the only thing you need to be concerned with. I would be concerned with the add-on cards such as RAID controller NICs, etc...

The problem with your question is you list specific uses for this server without telling us how many VMs you want to achieve these uses. You only mention 1 OS Server2012, but If you're using 2012 why not just use Hyper-V its better for 99% of the uses you listed above. At this point the only reason I can see to use ESXi is educational or PCI passthrough, especially in a home environment. Hyper-V benefits from windows drivers making just about any hardware compatible.

Just a thought before you run out and buy stuff.

Thank you, well explained.

Okey to clear things up:

I want to use ESXI to learn more about vmware and virtualization.

And from there maybe 5 vm's or so. But some of them for lab. But as time goes on I hope to learn more and therefore more RAM and so on is preferable.

So if I understand you right. If I don't need PCI passthrough I could go with any hardware?

A new NIC is not so expensive so if the NIC on the mobo doesn't work I'll just buy another one.

If I will RAID it will probably be software RAID, I don't have that important data.

Thanks for all your help!

Not for nothing, but I read no-control's post differently. When he said "or PCI passthrough" I think he meant that not needing PCI passthrough would be a reason to use HyperV instead of ESXi, not that you could use just any old hardware in ESXi as long as you don't need PCI passthrough.