RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ntfs shared files and folders

timmib

Greetings,

Am a recent member and in the process of deciding what I want to do for a family lan file sharing arrangement.  With this in mind I have reorganized the various hard disks into larger sata versions and in the process converted most to ntfs in anticipation of a new mb and os.  I had set up a xp workgroup with three computers some years ago which worked just fine.  Too, the workgroup was recognized by the intelligent peripherals like wd tv live and the new oppo blue ray.  So, after all the moves, etc, I find that every shared folder is now unshared *and* as are the subdirectories and files!

Does anyone know of a way to batch turn on file-folder sharing in a directory tree?  I can't believe that something as basic as this is so hard to find using google.  I am not talking about ntfs user permissions, I don't think.  I've experimented with this but it does not effect the network sharing.  I could define a 'user' for each computer in the workgroup, which might work.  But, this defeats the idea of a network.

TIA,

Kim

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• timmib

I suspect that you lost the shares when you converted the drives to NTFS. Shares are handled differently by NTFS than they are in the various versions of FAT.

The good news is that it's pretty easy to create a share in NTFS. A note here: you haven't identified what OS or OS' you're using. If it's Win7, you can simply right-click a top level folder, give it a Share Name, assign permissions, and click OK. Every folder under that one should inherit the same permissions.

Greetings ikon,

I'm running xp.  I did try to invoke inheritance with both share permissions and ntfs permissions.  It did not change the existing files-folders shares nor were shares inherited by new folders and files.  I feel like there's some setting having to do with shares inheritance that I'm unaware of.  The good news is that I gather under win7 changing the share permission on a top folder or drive will be automatically propagated to all existing subdirectories and files.  That makes sense and it the way I expected xp to act using ntfs.  It was the way it acted under fat32.  I'm thinking of reverting all the drives that don't need 4g+ ability to fat32!!

Thanks for your reply.

Be well,

Kim

Something is wrong then. The permissions should have propagated.

Question: did you try to change existing share permissions, or did you create new ones? If you've only tried changing existing share permissions please try creating a new share, now that you're using NTFS, and see if the permissions take properly. I would advise to not try it with a folder that is currently shared; do it on a folder you've never shared before.

My suspicion is that this is still a situation of the different way FAT and NTFS shares are handled. In the end, you may simply have to remove the shares created under FAT and redo them with NTFS.

Trust me, it does work with NTFS: millions of servers are doing it every day. I would not revert drives to FAT32.

Greetings ikon,

Well you're probably right.  I will try it with a folder that's never been shared before.  If it works, should I remove the shares via the management consol?  Thanks for sticking with this.  I am just new to ntfs and still finding it .. eh .. unintuitive maybe.

Be well,

Kim

ikon,

tried the windows gui [properties - sharing] on a folder I have never shared before.  Didn't inherit to the child folders.  I'll try using the management console to delete a share and see where that leads me.

I'm sorry I don't have any XP machines left to test with, but I've checked on Win7 machines and the permissions do get replicated.

Thanks very much for keeping up with me on this.   I'm going to fiddle with the mmc and see if that does it.

I was going to move to win7 so maybe I'll just wait a week or two until I get the mb and stuff upgraded with xp and the do a clean install of win7.

Again, thank you for giving me some input.  I do intend to build a nice server situation and it's good to know that for this sort of work works in win7.  I'm just an old finagler with windows o/s's generaly making them behave like they were supposed to. LOL!!  Don't know where I can find a copy of Home Server v1? .......... :)

Be well,

Kim

Edited by timmib

I would skip v1 and just buy a $50 copy of 2011. It's more stable, you can back up the system drive, and it doesn't have the issues that Drive Extender had.

XP?  What version?  If you just copied files from one system over to another, the permissions would not necessarily have gone with them.  And, are you talking "Share Permissions" or "Security Permissions"?