RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP MicroServer AMD TurionII N40L with Windows 2000 Prof.

Gord3n

Hello,

first, sorry for my bad english.

My Name ist Daniel i´m 27 years old and i´m from Germany.

I want to by the HP MicroServer AMD TurionII N40L with 2 GB RAM (or more?), 250GB System HDD and will run Windows 2000 Prof. on it.

By now i use an HP Thin Client T5740 with Intel ATOM 1,6Ghz Single Core with 1GB Ram and Windows XP Home

There are five 2TB USB Drives Connected.

It will be used to share files over Ethernet using Windows´ build in File Sharing feature.

Also it running Twonky Media Server 7.0 and HFS (HTTP File Server) from http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

Nore more is needed. Raid or NAS will be not required.

And it´s running good, but USB 2.0 is to slow and i want all drives in one Case.

Now i have e few questions about the HP MicroServer.

1. Will this config run with Windows 2000 Prof? (i dont have another OS (only XP Home) and dont want to buy one) Linux is not an alternativ.

2. Will HDD Spindown be supported? I Dont want the drives running all the time if there are not used.

3. Can i run the 250 GB System HDD and five 2 TB HDD by using the internal SATA Connector and a PCI-e to SATA Card and install two HDD drives in the ODD Bay?

Thanks for your help.

Greeting Daniel

Edited by Gord3n

Windows 2000 Pro is a serious security risk for any system attached to the Internet.  Microsoft has not supported it in several years, and it is a hacker's plaything.

Application support for it is also dropping steadily; most things you would want to run require support of newer versions of product (e.g., IIS, .NET, Internet Explorer, and so on).  Many antivirus clients are dropping Windows 2000 support.

I cannot understand why you aren't willing to buy a copy of Windows Home Server 2011, which is available cheaply and is far more secure.  It can be had for $49USD.

With respect, buying a server like this, but not wanting to buy a decent OS is like wanting to purchase a hammer but not wanting to buy nails, and asking if carpet tacks will do because you have some lying around.

Edited by LoneWolf

I agree with LoneWolf. Seriously, Win2K? Dude, it was a fantastic OS, but it's day is gone. Time to move on. WHS2011 is only $50 and it's even more stable that Win2K was.

How many exploits are being developed for 2K?  Not that many (if any) so you could take the stance that Windows 7 & 8 are a lot more vulnerable.  Now, having said that, I would get a copy of WHS 2011 and build from there.

Ok, thanks for this information.

I did not know that WHS11 ist available for 50$ that Price is OK.

But, will it support HDD Spindown with this machine? That's a key feature for me.

Edited by Gord3n

What type of drives will you be using?  A little out of my area but wouldn't that be a drive function and not an OS?

I will use the Drives out of my 5 External HDD´s http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0031SZRZG/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

From informations out of the internet, there are these drives build in: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS

Here a big picture: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/&menu=browser&image_id=985386&article_id=678139&page=1&show=original

In the external Housings, the HDD´s will spindown, this is controlled by th USB to Sata controler directly in the external HDD Cases.

But HDD Spindown is supported by all drives, but must be also supported from the sata controller and the sata controller driver.

Edited by Gord3n

I can understand the desire to minimize energy use, but you may be focussing on HDD Spindown a bit too much. Drives these days use very little power. For example, the WD20EADS uses only 5 watts at idle. So, 4 of them in a cage would only use 20 watts when not in use. At that level, I think there are a lot of other, better areas in life where power can be saved.

Hello again.

Energy saving is not my primary aim, ok eventually a little bit. My aim is to extend the lifetime of hdd's. At any Time the hdd's are not spinning, it will extend lifetime i think.

An the server stands in the living room. So silencing is an aim too. Actually the main point.

So, will it support spindown commands or not?

Greetings Daniel.