RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tinkererguy

Update Rollup 1 for Windows Server 2012 Essentials is available, testing on my busy server underway

diehard

Thanks for the blog post on your site, Paul.

I hope you can be a guest on the podcast to explain your findings.

Jason

Installed as well as the hot fix to enable WSUS on WS2012e. Unfortunately after enabling the WSUS role, it's not possible to configure the WSUS service. May have something to do with WSUS running on a domain controller. Has anyone else done this yet?

zeus163

I don't know if it was the connector update or not, but I connected my wife's laptop last night to the server (windows 7 professional). I applied the regfix to avoid joining the domain and the connector still joined her laptop to the domain, which I was trying to avoid with her laptop So, i don't know if the updated connector broke the regfix or if I applied the regfix wrong.

Is there a way to get the regular welcome screen back that just shows the users on the machine instead of whatt the domain login wants?

Drashna Jaelre

Well, if you've logged on recently, it should list the last user, IIRC. Otherwise, you'd have to leave the domain to get the old login screen back.

caylor93

So when I install this update, 2781267 Update Rollup 1 for Windows Server 2012 Essentials, all of the devices/clients go offline in the server and are not connected on the client side dashboard.

All of the system have an established connection to the server via TCP port 6602:

TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.71:51745    ESTABLISHED
  TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.72:49276    ESTABLISHED
  TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.73:55030    ESTABLISHED
  TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.74:57116    ESTABLISHED
  TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      10.x.x.171:49187   ESTABLISHED
  TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      172.x.x.25:25234     ESTABLISHED
  TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      172.x.x.63:50090     ESTABLISHED
  TCP    172.x.x.12:6602      172.x.x.125:54237    ESTABLISHED

The KB article says there is a client side update, 2781268 Client-side package of Update Rollup 1 for Windows Server 2012 Essentials , that comes from the updated server, but I don't see how it is pushed to the clients.  I check the clients and it isn't installed.

From the KB:

"After you apply this update rollup, the client-side package is installed on all client computers automatically. "  But that doesn't appear to be happening and I didn't get the client update notification like you did in your image on ANY of the clients....not one.

Any ideas?

jmwills

Seems like to me you could download the Connector software again from the server and join them back to the server.

caylor93

Yeah, but hate removing from the domain and rejoining.

Just found out that if I just uninstall the Connector software and then download and install it again it will re-sync.  Don't think that is what is supposed to happen though.

Everything works fine when it is "offline"...I can access the backups screen from the Launchpad, the shares are accessible, the connector icon is even showing green.  The alerts just aren't flowing likely because of the version difference. 

tinkererguy

Thanks for the blog post on your site, Paul.

I hope you can be a guest on the podcast to explain your findings.

That is quite an honor, and nice thing to hear, especially coming from you. I always greatly enjoyed hearing about your latest (mis)adventures and projects, back in the good old days. And I respect your amazing ability to make us all laugh with you. Hope you are doing well!

Yeah, but hate removing from the domain and rejoining.

Just found out that if I just uninstall the Connector software and then download and install it again it will re-sync.  Don't think that is what is supposed to happen though.

Everything works fine when it is "offline"...I can access the backups screen from the Launchpad, the shares are accessible, the connector icon is even showing green.  The alerts just aren't flowing likely because of the version difference. 

caylor93, wow, that's rough. My rollup did go automatically to the clients, as soon as I took laptops out of suspend, for example. They then showed as connected again in the Dashboard. All in about 30 seconds from laptop wake up. Automagically I was quickly all set. All mine are non-domain joined clients. I also have updated my related article.

Your report of this issue is troubling...there must be a better way than reinstall.  Feels like sniffing around the .EXE files in C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin might be in order, WSConnectorUpdate.exe sure sounds promising?

caylor93

I would, but I have already uninstalled all of them...so no way to test.

Thank you all for the quick responses.