RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bad SATA port - replace board? install PCI SATA card?

dvn

The  Atom Gigabyte GA-D510UD mobo in my daughter's v1 server has a bad SATA port. Here's the question: should I buy a SATA card for its PCI (not pcie) slot, or should I look at replacing the board?  The replacement must be mini ITX as that's the only size that'll fit the case - PC-Q09.  Overall, the performance has been solid and trouble-free so upgrading for better performance is not a motivating factor here.

In the meantime, I've moved the affected drive over to a working port and the server is back up and running.  Honestly, it makes me nervous when components start failing on a motherboard, though I realize it might continue to work for years without additional problems/failures. 

What do you think?

• Do nothing? It is working fine right now.
  • Install a PCI SATA card (again, PCIe not an option)
  • replace the mobo (mini-itx)

Thanks all!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• wrouffa
      By wrouffa
      I require some guidance.

I own an HP MediaSmart Server running WHS V1.  In addition I have a series of computers which I backup to the server on a regular basis.  Recently I upgraded two of then from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I was able to successfully install the connected software and have continued to run backups with no issues.  I now need to access some of the backups.  When I try to restore (manage) a backup on the server it goes through the normal "opening" process but at the end when the file explorer window pops open, it flashes open momentarily and then closes.  I'm guessing this is an issue with Windows 10 and the new File Explorer. 

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might proceed to access the backups?

thanks!
    • sitsekson
      By sitsekson
      Hi,

I have an HP E485, PP3 with all the updates.  It's working fine, but something happened over the last year when my folder containing files for the connector has disappeared from the Software folder.  I have one Win 7 64 bit PC with connector installed and working and that's it.  All of the new computers with Win 7 I couldn't install it due to the lack of install files. 

I searched the internet and found the WHSconnector.msi and WHSconnector_x64.msi files dated 1/10/2011.  however all other files in the folder setup.exe, WHSconnctorinstall.exe etc. are dated 10/7/2009.  So if i ran an install, i get an error after it asks me to enter password.  BTW, it shows me the correct password tip that i have setup years earlier.  When i run troubleshooter, it tells me that the version of the connector i am trying to use is different than the version installed on the WHS server.  Attached, please 

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Alexander

• dvn
      By dvn
      My daughter's OS drive died G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-120GBP2 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). I hooked it up to a couple different PC's (with different chipsets) to verify that it did not appear in BIOS. It didn't. I officially pronounced it dead at 4:02 PM EST.

Thought it might be interesting to see how G.Skill handles this. The SSD was purchased from Newegg on 10/26/10, so it's a year and a half old, well within its 3 year warranty.

I received RMA approval from G.Skill today. I'll send it off tomorrow and wait. Newegg still sells them, so I'll likely receive the same model, assuming G.Skill determines the drive is faulty. Funny thing is, I had just checked the health status on that SSD not a week before it died. It was at 100% with no errors of any kind. Kind of gave me pause to see first-hand how SSD's can do a 'now it's here, now it's not' act. I've heard others talk about it but I've never been bitten til now.

I have to mention that the computer was being backed up by good ol' WHS v1. And the last backup was from the night before the SSD died. So that's great, right? Not exactly. I was unable to get v1 to initiate a PC restore. I tried all the tricks I could think of, but no-go. That's ok, though, because I had an Acronis backup stored back home on my WHS which I had made last spring. That saved me a nice chunk of time. So I reconnected the PC to her network, reinstalled the Connector software, opened her last PC backup, and pulled files (primarily photos) back to the computer. She was quite relieved by that. And it was reasonably quick. Of course, she'll have to reinstall a couple of programs, but she's OK with that.

As a +1 to Symantec, I was able to redownload a copy of Norton AV 2012 recently purchased from Amazon ($14.50) and get it installed and reactivated. The sale is still on if anyone's interested. Just saying.

As a side note: I was talking with Jim Collison today and he mentioned that using OpenDNS as a router's DNS server can (I believe he actually said 'will') interfere with establishing connection between v1 and client PC during the PC Restore process. Good to know. I'll check that out next time I visit my daughter.
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Most of my network in my house is wired CAT6.

I wanted to test my connection from WHS 2011 (Hal) running as a VM in a Hyper-V Role under Server 2008 R2 Ent. (Destiny) TO my WHS V1 (SkyNET).

My WHS 2011 VM is on my N40L MicroServer with an Intel NIC Card tied to the virtual NIC. The WHS V1 is running on my EX-487.

These are my results:

• James Walker
      By James Walker
      Hello everyone;
      I hope someone may have an idea or an answer to an issue I am having;

I am trying to connect my Win7 pc to my WHS v1 using the Windows Media Center connector to WHS. I have movies and mucis on the WHS v1 that I want to be able to view in Windows Media center, I also have recently purchase the HDhomerun and want to store shows on teh WHS and view them through Windows Media center. However when I run the WMC connector to WHS it hangs after I enter the password in and never completes. I have tried several things recommend by other post and sites.

tried with and without the firewall turned on -- Win 7 system

Tried to add exceptions to the firewall --- Win 7 system

Used the WHS toolkti to troubleshoot the connector issue.

WHS reports everything is fine, when run on Win 7 it reports and issue with the version of the connector software is not the same as what is on the WHS. I uninstalled and re-installed the version from both the \\<yourserever>\software\ site and from the http:\\<yourserver>:55000 site and I get the same results same error message formt he toolkit and still the Media center connector for WHS will not connect. I also deleted the directory \<program files>\windows Home server each time following the instructions online and through the WHS toolkit and re-installed connector and still the Media center connector will not complete.

I checkd my router and it is allowing the WHS to commincate on all the ports.

I have tried this from tow other win 7 computers on my network and I get the same results.

All computers including the WHS are on the same IP subnet.

I can RDP into the server and connect via the WHS connector icon on the desktop. I can connect thought the drive mapping and via the internet. But I cannot get the Windows Media center connector for WHS to connect and finish.

I checked and I am using the correct password for the WHS.

Is there something else I can try or do?

Thank you
      James Walker