RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

HP Smart Array P410 Controller & 3/4TB drives

Joe_Miner

I noticed in the QuickSpecs for the P410 (QuickSpecs Version 25 - DA-13201 -- Feb 19, 2013) that the P410 now appears to support some HP 3 & 4TB SATA drives.

Has anyone here tried that or know of someone who has?

ikon

Haven't tried it JM, but once you get over 2TB, it shouldn't matter whether it's 3 or 4 TB, or even more. Once you get into GPT disks, the maximum size is 16 Exabytes. I think it will be some time before we see drives that large, unless someone perfects laser or organic storage techniques ;)

cskenney

Looks like in this thread that Lonewolf mentions an update to the P410 so he may have some information about 3TB+ drives.

Joe_Miner

Thanks Chris!  I hadn't read far enough into LoneWolf's post.

I'm also looking at the RR2720 -- it's looking like both the RR2720 and P410 would work and both now support the larger drives with the firmware update on the P410.  The P410 is more "official" in the MicroServer and could be upgradable if I'm reading the documentation right (big IF -- LOL).

Hopefully LoneWolf or someone will chime in how easy the firmware update process is as well as other useful details.

LoneWolf

I cannot confirm that the controller supports 3/4TB drives from my own experience; my only 3TB drive is on eSATA on my server.

The P410 controller just got a new firmware update to 6.0, as well as drivers dated the same day, and a new Smart Array Configuration Utility.  The changelogs list bug fixes only, however, the previous firmware (5.70D) notes the following:

Fixed an issue in which 3TB drives were not managed as spares.

Noting that, I'd say 3TB and larger drives have already been supported for at least one firmware revision if not more.

As for the firmware update process itself, it's as simple as it gets.  The firmware update is available via a Windows or Linux install package. I have already updated the drivers, firmware, and Array configuration utility last night on my system while connected via Remote Desktop, with no issues.  The most appealing factor of the P410 to me is that driver and firmware support is superb.  After that, the flexibility of cache choices are nice as well, and that you can get the P410 used for a reasonable price on Ebay.  It's a really robust card; I think I made the right choice.

Edited by LoneWolf

ikon

I read that paragraph the same way: >2TB drives have been supported for a while.

schoondoggy

I have a P410 in my N40L, it is a great RAID card. One thing to note on the P410, SAS runs at 6Gb/sec and SATA runs at 3Gb/sec. On the 2720 it appears both run at 6Gb/sec per the data sheet. 

godol

I also have P410 controller in N40L running previous 5.7 firmware  with 4 x 3TB ST3000DM001. It's been fitted last weekend so it's maybe to early to make any conclusive statements. Those Seagate consumer drives are coming from different sites and have different firmwares but still array has been successively completed and paired.

With 512MB BBWC it supports RAID5. Keep my fingers crossed it won't loose any drives. I have also tried loading latest firmware but didn't manage because I'm linux noob and couldn't find Windows install package.

Finally I can have NFS share set for my server folders. It was impossible with WHS2011 and every Drive Extender replacement I have tried before. Name it Drivepool, Drivebender, flexRAID etc.

Edited by godol

LoneWolf

FYI - RAID 5 is supported on any P410 as long as a cache module is installed (256MB or larger).  I started with a 256MB module on mine.

godol

How many drives I could have in single array? Currently I have 4 x 3TB drives in SAS Array A - RAID5. 

If I would like to add another one or two 3TB drives I will have to connect drives to Port B in P410 controller. Will I be able to expand Array A by utilizing those two drives connected to Port B or will I have two separate arrays ( Array A & Array B )?

Something like in the picture down below...

IMG_4501.JPG

Edited by godol