RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs 2011 working with new laptop win 8 standard backup an issue

lost & found bits

Hi,

hoping for help with a new machine , whs 2011 backup works fine on all win 7 machines but not on the new win 8 laptop. I have run window updates on the server and no new updates are available dated 25/2/13 . New connector has been installed on all machines including the win 8 from the server not from the win store. Problem is the backup starts on the win 8 machine from whs 2011 but stops at 1% ( win 8 machine only) . Does anyone  know if there is a problem win 8 and whs 2011 combination

notes

tried to backup win 8 machine locally with a usb 3 drive through win 8 using win 7 backup restore utility build in. If you select auto all partitions are selected including system iso with the result of the program spits the dummy on a 1 tb drive (too small).

if you select  the c drive only will backup locally OK on 1 tb but I am worried is drive fails (have not tried this option on whs 2011 yet , C only), new laptop does not have recovery disks , the recovery paritation is on the drive itself including the cd key . If the drive fails I do not  know if the C image will be  enough

Problem is the backup starts on the win 8 machine from whs 2011 but stops at 1% ( no problem on win7 's)

• Therefore is the 2tb limit on the whs2011 the issue with win 8 ,

• I know server 2012 essential will help but the $400 plus price tag makes me concerned
  •  another option of a good nas enough with with the new win 8's

any sugestions welcome :blink:

Dear Bits

a few questions

Is your client backup folder any where near 2TB?

Do you have mapped network drives as part of the backup routine?

Backing up a laptop with presumably little data on it should not be a stretch unless the client backup folder is full.

If this is the case, discard some backups and retry.

If backup is not full (as I suspect) the issue lies elsewhere. Search the forum, I am sure this issue has been discussed in the past

Edited by Renny

Your new laptop is using UEFI and has drives formatted with GPT partitions, rather than the old MBR.

WHS 2011 cannot deal with backup/restore of client PCs using UEFI/GPT. It's stated in the release notes.

The WHS 2011 team are supposedly working on a fix for this (it's been fixed in WS2012E), but it's a long time coming...