RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

HTPC Case w/ LCD Help

upsidedowncake

Hello all, thanks in advance for reading.

I am looking to build an HTPC soon to replace my Verizon FiOS box.  I'm considering an HDHomeRun Prime with a CableCARD to do this.  One question here, has anyone had success streaming live tv to a Mac Laptop?  The recordings will go to a WHS box, so I'm not worried about playing those back, but the live streaming has me puzzled and I can't really find much on it.

The real question I have is recommendations for a good case with an LCD, so that I can see the time and what channel I am on if possible.  I'd be looking for sub-$200.  It would be a bonus if it was compatible with an H60 or some time of water cooling to keep noise down.

The rest of the hardware I'm not too concerned about, will probably use an i5 or i7, SSD for boot and a 2-3tb green drive for recordings before they get transferred to my WHS.  I'd like to do some light gaming on the machine, but I'm going to try out the Intel HD4000 graphics first before going to a dedicated card.  I don't want to put that kind of heat in the box, and if the graphics don't cut it I'll just game on my PC.  Thanks again.

up7500

Silverstone makes nice case with LCD's in the size for ATX and would have plenty of room for water cooling, though they are expensive.  I remember paying almost $200 for mine.  Though next time I think I will skip the display, it is not as usefull as I imagined and is small enough that it hard to read from the couch. 

As far as live TV on a Mac, I think either XBMC or Plex will take an unprotected stream from the HD Prime.  Assuming you are going to use Windows Media Center protected content like HBO and Showtime will not play on anything put the HTPC or an extender.  Lucky for you Verizon marks hardly anything copy once, I am not so lucky with Time Warner.

upsidedowncake

Appreciate the feedback, and I'll have to give that some thought when looking for cases.  In theory the LCD screen seems like something I need, but if it pushes the cost way up I may do without it, especially to your point if it is so small I can't see it.

I am wondering how the whole copy once and protected content is going to shake out, especially as I record the shows (including shows from HBO and Showtime) on to the HTPC and then transfer them to my server.  Any luck with that type of thing?  Or does the HDHomeRun allow pointing to a network share?

up7500

Protected content has to be recorded on an HTP using WMC. 

I use the WMC connector for WHS v1 to automatically copy my reocrded TV to the server, this does not affect protected content.  For playback with the PC it does not matter if it is stored on the computer or a network share.  Though only the PC that recorded the show can playback protected content, either on the screen contected to the HTPC or via an extender like the XBox or Ceton Echo.

I have my HTPC connected to the family room TV and record content using the CETON Infitv card.  For the other TV's in the house I have a Ceton Echo, 2 XBoxes, and a dlink extender.

upsidedowncake

That shouldn't be an issue then, I'll have the HTPC connected to my main TV.  I am not familiar with that card though, will have to look in to it.  The thing I like about the Homerun is the ability to stream on my laptop while I do something else on the TV, also the streaming to iPad is a nice feature.  Just need to go through the hassle of swapping my box out for a card.  How does the protected content work with a device like the homerun?  I'm curious since it isn't built in to a PC but rather is it's own device, serving a whole home?

up7500

The HD Prime works almost the same way as the Ceton card.  You will be able to stream unprotected content from it to anything.  Any channel that is protected will only be able to be played or recorded on the HTPC. 

Though they are working on a method of streaming a protected DNLA stream to devices from the HP Prime  The only problem is not every device that is DNLA compatible will be able to decode the protected stream.  Right now the only device available that I know of is the PS3.

upsidedowncake

Interesting.  I have a PS3, I wonder how that would work.  I'm tempted to pick up a Prime before I even build the HTPC just to see how it works and what I can do with it.  Wish Verizon wasn't going to charge me a one time fee of 20 dollars to ship a 4 dollar a month Cablecard.