RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

ProLiant Microserver Remote Access Card Firmware Update

LoneWolf

After two years, HP has posted a firmware update for the Remote Access Card for the ProLiant Microserver, upping the version to 1.3 (previously 1.2)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=4248009&prodNameId=4310887&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-5bdf616b7fcd4487b828c9a720

(Taken from HP's notes:)

Problems Fixed:

Resolved an issue with uploading new Security Certificate using Web-GUI of Proliant MicroServer Remote Access card.

Resolved an issue where the HP ProLiant Remote Access Card becomes
inaccessible via Http, SSH or remote KVM sessions from client systems
over LAN interface and pings time out.

If you have one of these in your server, time to update.

On another note, it appears that on 2/20, HP updated the drivers, firmware, and Array Configuration Utility for the Smart Array P410 controller (this also likely affects the P212 if any of you have it).  I've already performed these updates, I'm working on getting the RAC updated on my system at the moment.

Edited by LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Note:  I was unable to update my Remote Access Card through its web UI, forcing me to use the SoC flash utility on a bootable USB key with FreeDOS.  The WebUI method would start to show updating, and just sit on that screen and never finish.

This method flashes over the PCIe bus, and completely wipes the card to stock config, removing its IP settings.  As such, I'm going to have to hook up my server to video this week and re-configure the card prior to going headless again, as I can't do it tonight.  However, the flash reported as going okay, so I'm confident the card is okay.  It may be possible to see if the card got a DHCP address and configure directly by checking my router; if so, I can report back earlier and see if there are notable differences.

godol

@LoneWolf

Did you successfully update P410 controller to latest 6.0 firmware? I'm having some issues to get it updated on my N40L. I have tried with bootable USB drive and CD disk but no joy.

Can you describe which method works best for you?

Thanks,

cskenney

Paging Lonewolf.....Joe_Miner has a question for you in this other thread.

Let's discuss the P410 in Joe's topic and leave this one for the RAC.

LoneWolf

Godol,

I added a post that discusses this in the thread cskenney mentioned; I used the Windows package installer.

On to my Remote Access Card update:

NOTE: Thanks to someone on FixYa that knew this --I sure didn't and it's important.  There is a BUG in the Microserver's BIOS; if you have the BIOS admin password enabled in the process of flashing the firmware and take it back to stock, the IPMI setup in the BIOS will show "No BMC Detected" in the LAN configuration.  This led me to believe I had bricked the firmware on my RAC, and in the process of trying to fix things, I nearly did brick the card when it was just fine.  Disabling the BIOS admin password allows you to set the Static IP address of the RAC again; at that point, you can enter in a BIOS password if you wish.

The good news -the BIOS updates the security certificate on the card, and there's a few bug fixes.  The bad news -there really isn't anything new in the way of features or interface changes.  I do hope it improves on the stability of the RAC (which wasn't perfect), and I hope I can eventually get port forwarding set up so I can access the RAC from outside my LAN, as I've been having issues getting that working, but that could be an unrelated issue.

Andrew H

Hi,

I have updated the firmware via the Dos utility, however, the security cert still expires in Aug 2012.  Did you manage to get a newer factory installed certificate?  I could generate a new one of course.  Firmware page says I am running 1.3.

Thanks.

Andrew.

LoneWolf

Andrew,

Good question, and one I didn't really confirm, so I checked.  Mine also expires August of 2012; I think a new one will need to be generated for a new date.  My original wording incorrect, and I apologize; it appears there is just an issue resolved with uploading certs through the WebGUI.

Edited by LoneWolf

Jason

Off topic but are there any generic remote access cards available that add this functionality to a DIY home server? My pfsense router system has IPMI on mobo which is wonderful. Didn't know if there are universal cards that provide similar capability.

LoneWolf

Startech apparently had one, but it appears to be discontinued, and was PCI.  Unlikely you'll find it.

http://www.startech.com/PCI-Server-Remote-Control-Internal-IP-KVM-Card~SV1110IPPCI

Unless you have specific server hardware that can take a manufacturer-specific ILO card or add-on module, you'd probably need an IP-based KVM, which wouldn't be internal, and won't be cheap.  It's really hard to get lights-out management after purchasing a system; you generally have to plan from the get-go.  The Microserver remote access card really is mostly an IP KVM on board, with a few minor server management functions thrown in.

The least expensive options I've seen are either HP's Microserver with its RAC card, or the Proliant ML110/ML310 line, which has ILO on board.  I haven't used the ML110 or ML310, but would be inclined to think the built-in solution is better than the Microserver's remote access card, as it is integrated and the servers are a considerable step up in processing power.

Edited by LoneWolf

g725s

Do you connect 2 Ethernet wires to your Microserver, one to the built in NIC and the other to the Remote Access Card?