RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 - Create a wifi network with a "pfsense type" backend?

TommySharp

Hi Guys, the title of this post might sound strange but this is what I'm trying to achieve......

At home I have a DSL connection with most computers connected via GBit LAN. The router puts out a single wifi spot for laptops, phones etc.....

What I'd like to do is create another wifi access point but one that is a little more controlled for children and guests.  My main reason is that the youngest burnt through a TONNE of our data cap in a very short time using youtube on the ipad. I'm thinking some sort of proxy cache type setup would help here as she's constantly watching the same clips.

Has anyone seen/heard of something that I can run on the WHS box where I can plug a USB wifi stick intho the WHS server and setup an access point. And then have a piece of software controlling that access point enabling a proxy cache, address filtering etc etc? Maybe even have it so that anything connected to that wifi can't see anything else on my network.... Good for guests....

Would love to use my WHS rather than purchase an additional piece of hardware....

Any help or suggestions would be great....

I have to say, despite you not wanting to buy another piece of hardware, that an inexpensive wireless router is your best bet here. They are so cheap it just doesn't really make sense to me to do anything else. By using it's routing capabilities, you can create a separate subnet for your daughter and guests to use. You would simply route the WAN port of the router to your other subnet and let it handle getting to the internet.

Thanks guys, proxy cache would just save data caps so that things like YouTube videos get cached locally so she could watch the same YouTube video on the ipad multiple times and it would only ever be downloaded once....

I might look to see if there is a hardware router that does this...

Another option would be a cheap pfsense device off eBay but I'd like to look into the software option first....

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

pfSense does have a plugin called squid3 that might do what you are looking for.  I have not tired it yet, but it is worth a look if you are already thinking about introducing a new router into the mix.

Something like this might be an option for a cheap hardware setup I guess.... http://www.nerdoncoffee.com/?p=119 Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Some of the standard firmware in these routers can do filtering, but not caching.  I'm a bit worried that a web proxy will kill a flash drive in no time. Everything you do on the web will be written to the cache, and then eventually flushed. It's for this reason I opted to put a spinning drive in my pfsense box rather than an ssd.

I currently use an SSD for my pfSense box too, and you are right, squid might kill that.  I would move my box to a spinner if I was going to do web cache.