RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

Theoretical question on Microserver IcyDock mod

LoneWolf

I've got the dock, and the optical disk drive.  Both Velociraptors fit fine when removed from their heatsinks.

Now I'm just waiting for the SFF-8087 cable to arrive.

LoneWolf

Okay, project in progress.  All of the hardware is recognized.

I'm now working on restoring my WS2012E boot drive from system image to the RAID-0 array of Raptors.  If that succeeds, I will then remove the two logical drives from my RAID-5 array, replace them with a single logical drive, and restore my data drive to it.  Fingers crossed.

LoneWolf

And crap.  The Raptors come out to 148GB (formatted), which was larger than my 160GB boot partition previously, so Windows petulantly won't restore the system image, even though there's enough space, because it's not intelligent enough.

Next step:  Shrink the C: drive down to smaller than 148GB.  Perform new server backup to update system image.  Wash, rinse, repeat attempt.

ikon

As a reinforcement, I can confirm that I have done the 'shrink the C: partition until it will fit on the new drive' trick, successfully. There is also a utility (Acronis Disk Director???) that can move those pesky system files that are sometimes stored way out in left field of a partition. The utility helped me once when I couldn't get enough 'shrinkage'.

LoneWolf

The shrink followed by a new backup worked.  At first though, I didn't think it did because while I'd done so before, I forgot to reset the LUN of the new RAID-0 array as the bootable one, and it turns out Server 2012 will fail the restore until this is corrected.  Once I fixed this, the restore of the boot drive completed. and functioned properly

My original plan was to then delete the 160GB logical drive off the RAID-5 and just ensure things looked right, but the HP controller (like many, if not all) requires you delete logical drives in reverse order.  I deleted both drives and created a new 6TB logical.  Booted server back up at this point, and am restoring the D: drive from GUI, whereupon I'll run a full backup with the new configuration.

Would have been nice to just delete the small logical drive and resize the big one, but HP's SAAP license is required for dynamically resizing arrays, and I can't justify the couple hundred bucks it costs.

Prior to the restore, I also plugged the Velociraptors into another system, as I'd found them to be running an early firmware revision, which had some RAID dropout issues every 49 days.  Pulled a much newer firmware from a helpful soul on the web and upgraded them both to prevent this as well.  My system now looks like SchoonDoggy's pic.

155GB of 1.3TB  restored, and counting.

ikon

Excellent news. Congrats.

<rant>I really despise the practice of producing a product and locking features until you pay more money. It's part of the philosophy of "charging what the market will bear", which I also despise. IMHO, a product should be priced according to what it costs to produce + a reasonable profit.</rant>

LoneWolf

I agree.  While the P410 is a decent RAID controller, I've generally found the Dell PERC controllers worked a little more like I wanted.  Much of the configuration that requires HP's Offline Array Configuration Utility can be done by a PERC controller within its onboard BIOS.  Of course, the offline ACU is fairly user-friendly, but why not find a way to put some of those features in firmware?

Then again, starting with the Dell H-series PERC controllers, Dell has been requiring drives come from them, rather than be purchased separately.  So the PERC-6 line was the last really great series, IMO.

EDIT:  Apparently, Dell acquiesced and is reversing their position on the Gen11 RAID controllers.

http://www.standalone-sysadmin.com/blog/2010/04/dell-reverses-position-on-3rd-party-drives/

Update:  I remoted back into the server and found it rebooted on me in the middle of the backup.  I'm still unsure why; only 444GB of the 1.44TB had been restored.  Whether it be due to a Windows Update not present in the last system image, or hardware detection, etc. I don't know.  I started the restore again; this time, I went with a volume restore rather than a restore of all of a volume's files/folders, to see if that would change things.  I'm at 815GB restored, and continuing to monitor.

Edited by LoneWolf

ikon

Things like that are why I use RoboCopy for bulk copy operations. At least it won't recopy files it's already done.

LoneWolf

Robocopy is indeed an amazing utility.  I don't know how easy it is to use it when dealing with Server 2012 backups though.

Restoration complete.  System is now building parity for the 5.5TB logical drive, and I'm also doing a new system image backup.  Sorry for the bad (cellphone) picture; I also don't have a wide enough angle to capture further to the left, or you'd see an ASUS RT-AC66R router, Netgear Prosafe GS108 gig switch, and Motorola SB6120 cable modem., which compose about half my network (I have a Buffalo Tech 802.11n bridge/4port 100TX switch, and a Netgear Prosafe GS105 gig switch as well in other parts of the house).

N40L ICD

schoondoggy

Nice build!

For the amount of promotion we give IcyDock, they could at least sends us a t-shirt!  :D