RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Q?...how to access a WHS backup file under another user account?

manphil

No case ..so how to start PC??? ...easy ...locate the motherboard pin set for the case connections..identify the power switch pair ....apply momentary contact between these pins with flat bladed screwdriver ......it's alive!!!!

Now that's the kind of thing I really like! And you solved your problem with what I would call a 'true' Frankenbuild. That's too darn funny!

So the message of the day is .....access the back-up files from with-in  WHS console ..no problem!

As a matter of fact, you can only open backups from inside a WHS Console running on a PC. If you RDP into WHS, run the console, and try to open a backup, you'll get a message saying as much.

I don't think you misinterpreted anything. But I'll lay it out for you. What I did step-by-step is start WHS Console from my PC, go the Computers & Backups tab, double-clicked a computer name, highlighted a backup, and pressed Open. After that I went anywhere I wanted, locked folder or not. Like I said, I had forgotten that you need the admin password to open Console from a PC because I originally saved the password so I wouldn't have to enter it each time. So ya, you're in as Admin. ITTOG and I are able to open anything. I wish I could say why you cannot.

I am new to WHS but a suggestion for those doing a MB upgrade. On the old system go in and remove the Drive Controller Drivers, and possibly Video Drivers, Sound Drivers, NIC Drivers for any components that are changing. If you have Add-in Cards for Video, NIC, etc.. and it not changing then skip it. do this right before swapping the drive, on the next boot it will load generic drivers and then detect the new hardware and you can install the correct drivers.

Note: I have not done this or tested it on Win7 yet but have done it on XP many times. I have taken old systems and removed the drivers like this then use software to clone the old drive to a new system and then turn it on and install the drivers. Business customers with a lot of apps and special configs love this becasue everythign is the same but they are on newer and faster hardware. I know they need to upgrade to a new OS at somepoint but a lot of businesses have "Line of Business" applications that prevent it. We are still selling more Dell Business computers with XP on them then 7 due to this ver reason.

@miket - That's a great suggestion for systems still running.

Also, if your mobo had died and you're replacing it with a different model, boot with UBCD4Win + run Fix HDC. That, too, will get you to desktop. Once there, you can then load video, sound, and NIC drivers. I've passed this tip on to a friend who does tech support and he's told on a couple different occasions how well it works.