RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

RAID Card Saved My Data?

upsidedowncake

First of all, I should clarify by saying I'm definitely not complaining here.  However it worked, I'm thrilled that it worked.  But I'm curious.  

So last night I made a mistake in diskpart, and deleted all of the partitions on my main RAID array, and doing so I assumed wiped my data completely.  The Raid array broke and was separated out in to the 4 individual drives, no longer showing as one.   Today, I went back in to the Web GUI and created a new array with these drives, still a Raid 5, same drives, etc. and hit create.  It was created successfully, but to my shock and enjoyment all of my data was still there and it is now rebuilding and doing fine.  

Can anyone quickly explain or point me in the direction to information on how this is possible?  I thought diskpart would have completely wiped the drives.  Thanks in advance.

schoondoggy

What kind of raid card is it ? HP Smart Array cards have the ability to recognize a raid set. You can move drives from  server to server and not lose data.

I am sure other cards are capable of this function as well.

upsidedowncake

It's a RocketRaid 2720SGL.  My understanding was that the 'delete partition' in diskpart cleaned the drive, and that best case you'd need some type of restore software to get it back.  Also pleasantly surprised that a Raid card this cheap has this functionality.  +1 for Highpoint.

schoondoggy

I think that is true of Diskpart if this was a single drive with no RAID card. HighPoint has a feature, online array roaming, I 'assume' that this feature helped you recover. 

pcdoc

Glad to hear you data was safe.  I believe that schoondoggy is correct.  Since the disk part may have deleted you array, it did not cream the drives.  The array roaming is a function used for porting an array to other Highpoint cards and since the raid data is written on disk, recreating it put it all back.  There are other cool features of these and other dedicated raid cards that help you keep your data safe.  This is why I became a fan and really do not like other solutions like Storage Spaces.  The extra robustness and speed to me make it the only way to go.

upsidedowncake

Thanks for the info guys.  The cost factor was always driving my decision regarding a dedicated card vs. other solutions, as I was having a tough time justifying a 400 dollar RAID card.  I've been very happy with the RocketRaid though.  I'm wondering what the extra 170-200 dollars buys you?

ikon

The extra money buys you several things:

1. an actual CPU that handles all the calculations, including RAID5 checksums. The RocketRaid 2720 doesn't have one, so it has to hand those tasks back to the main system CPU, which can slow the system down somewhat. I'm not convinced that that part is so significant with today's higher-end CPUs, but it could well have some effect on lower-end CPUs such as the N40L.
  2. a write-back cache that holds data to be written to the array. This can improve performance a lot. The larger the cache, the more performance improvement (within limits of course). More expensive cards can have much larger caches.
  3. battery backup of the write-back cache. This protects the data in the write-back cache in the event of power failures or system crash.

upsidedowncake

Okay thanks, good to know that there is a reason, although for my needs I probably won't be able to justify it.  My CPU (2.13 GHz Xeon E5606) seems to be able to handle everything fine, although I'm looking forward to getting a second on the new mobo I bought before I start doing anything that will actually tax the CPU more.