RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage Spaces alternative

Unguided

Hello everyone. With the poor performance of storage spaces documented by joe_miner and with others with terrible experiences with storage spaces, I am looking for an alternative. I have looked at ZFS and the software that uses it but that would defeat the purpose of wanting to use ws2012e and mean building two seperate boxes. Not to mention High end hardware. I know about drive bender, drivepool, flexraid and snapraid. I took snapraid out as it is command line only. My questions are:

1. What is general opinion of the other three products.

2. What are you using and why?

Thanks for the replies

I plan to do some experimenting with DrivePool soon. One reason for choosing DP is because it works well with Stablebit Scanner. I like the idea of using Scanner because it keeps an eye on the drives in the system. I like that.

• Like 1

I had not thought of that. Thats why I posted. I wish there was a way to use and sd as a cache drive for storage spaces. Kind of like zfs uses arc and l2arc. I think that would be a viable option for the slow speeds as you  would be writing to the ssd and not the drive itself. But, Dont see a way to do that.

I don't think an SD card is a viable option at all. SD cards are not designed to handle the thousands and thousands of write operations a cache drive would experience. I think the SD card would burn out in no time.

Im sorry. I meant ssd for the cache. My brain works faster than my hands sorry. I meant use an ssd for the cache like arc and l2arc with zfs.

I thought Joe (or someone else) implied that with the later releases storage space performance had improved and was OK?