RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Puulima

Port Multiplier via Silicon 3132 Chipset card

Puulima

I've got the PM functionality enabled on my N40L - works great. But given there's only one external eSATA port - I'm limited to one external enclosure. On my only WHS v1 box I used a Rosewill RC-219 eSATA card - 2 external eSATA ports, Non-RAID, Silicon 3132 Chipset - comes with a low profile bracket. This worked fabulously for the past several years so thinking of putting that into my N40L to allow me to connect another external (4 drive) enclosure plus a single enclosure that I'll swap out for critical backups.

I'm assuming that the drivers will work fine in WHS 2011 - and will do some reading - but if anyone out there is using this (any card based on the Silicon 3132 Chipset) - please advise. I know they have drivers for up through Windows 7 - so assuming there's a driver for WHS 2011 (Windows Server 2008 right?).

Any downside to doing this? Any other options I'm not thinking of?

Thanks all

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, it works fine. I used a Sil 3132 card for the longest time. The only thing is, you will *definitely* have to install drivers for it.  Windows 7 x64 drivers, from their website work best, IMO.  Stopped using it because I picked up an ex495. :P  But other than, it was rock solid on my system.

ikon

I concur with Drashna. I had a StarTech Si3132 card in my WHS2011 until I got my 2 EX-503 units and switched to USB3. Other than the usual issues with sometimes being able to be eject eSATA, and sometimes not, it worked fine.

Puulima

Yeah, I had downloaded the drivers and BIOS direct from the Silicon website previously as mine came flashed with a RAID version of the BIOS. Thanks for the feedback..appreciate it.