RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXI Web Client VM Console - "Connection Timed Out" PLEASE HELP

nlitend1

I am wondering if anyone has used the vsphere web client in 5.1, specifically the vCenter Server Appliance.  Everything is working fine for me with it EXCEPT viewing the consoles of VM's when i log in from outside the network. The connection times out whenever i try to view the console from an external IP. It works perfectly when i'm on my local network. The following post (specifically the third post) is exactly what happens:

http://communities.v...message/2140503

I am not running a domain. I have followed TinkerTry' setup guide http://tinkertry.com/free-vmware-vcenter-server-appliance-5-1-download-install-configure/ for the vcenter appliance and added the entries to the host files on the esxi host (10.1.0.21), the vcenter appliance (10.1.0.25), and to my windows computer host file. I have enabled all the checkboxes in the esxi host firewall to theoretically pass through all necessary ports.

This link http://pubs.vmware.c...FF45D920F2.html explained the ports needed. I have tried forwarding all those both (both tcp and udp) to the esxi host and then to the vcenter appliance. I did find one helpful post (in russian) that explained that port 902 needed to be forwarded to the host while the rest needed to be forwarded to the vcenter appliance. I have tried all those configurations with no luck. 

I have troubleshooted this issue for 10+ hours by now and I'm at wits end. I have tried to search for any log files that could explain the issue...but I have not found anything that explains the connection for VM consoles. Any ideas on where i might find the log file that might do that?

Thanks in advance...I know Hyper-V is much more popular around here...but i know some guys work/have worked with ESXI for work purposes and I figure i better ask possible esxi guru's before putting in any more time.

nlitend1

There is supposed to be a patch for this issue.  We had on the internal LAN but could not get approval to apply the patch.

Before I opened all those ports, I'd use LogMeIn Free on the clients.

There is supposed to be a patch for this issue.  We had on the internal LAN but could not get approval to apply the patch.

Before I opened all those ports, I'd use LogMeIn Free on the clients.

There is a patch? or there WILL be a patch? Do u have any more information about it or possibly even a link to it/where it's discussed? Good point on the LogMein suggestion, I might end up doing that, but at this point, would really like to get the web console working. 

• 1 month later...

Are your vSphere hosts publicly exposed (do they have route-able public IP addresses)? The VM console requires a direct TCP connection to the host itself, so if you don't expose the hosts, you'll need to access vCenter either through a VPN or an RDP server.