RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HighPoint Rocket 640L in X58A-UD3R Desktop

Joe_Miner

I had recently experimented with a 640L in my X58A to speed up my drive performance closer to a true SATA III that what I had with the X58 GSATA III.

All was working well and after addressing a few other issues I was ready to upgrade my X58A to Win 8 Pro (As a test of the X58 I had done a complete new install of Win 8 using a spare HDD I had and having disconnected my Win 7 OS drive -- At that time everything installed well without the need for any Gigabyte drivers at all -- I had enabled Hyper-V and ran a few VM's on my X58).

I upgrade to Win 8 with no problems using exclusively the 640L powering my OS drive.  When I enabled Hyper-V my system crashed.  After some experimenting the better part of the day I've narrowed the issue down to the 640L.  When I pulled the 640L and attached my OS drive to my first GSATA III I was able to Post and enable Hyper-V.

I've left an issues report at HighPoint but was wondering if any of you HighPoint guru's had any thoughts on what the incompatibility is with the 640L and Hyper-V in Windows 8 Pro.

Thanks.

I was wondering if it was incompatable with the Marvell chip on the X58A-UD3R.

As A test I put the 640L into my Z77 -- Ports 1 & 3 of the 640L work in the Z77 but Ports 2 & 4 cause the machine to lock up. But at least the Z77 gets thru post and the system loads up fine in Hyper-V.

The best I can tell the Marvell chip on the Gigabyte X58A-UD3H to provide the GSATA III ports has a conflict that I can't seem to eliminate even by disabling the Marvell in BIOS but I have learned that the Rocket 640L works in the MicroServer -- my OS drive in my WHS-2011 (HAL-9000) is now running at SATA III speeds and is actually now faster than my OS drive in my X58 because the GSATA III isn't really a SATA III speed -- more of a SATA II and a half.