RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Twonky - Love it? Hardly. . .

dvn

This is a call to arms! I have had streaming problems with Twonky from day one on my EX495. I know Dave and others like it, but meh!

I log into my server from Firefox or IE and go to Media Streamer. Some music streams instantly, some will stream after a minute or so, and some doesn't seem to want to stream at all. Why is that? All music is in the same format - m4a.

It

Twonky love?...I don't know. I wish I could love it, I already paid for it. It just doesn't make sense to me that it's so slow to load up and stream over the LAN.

Yes, I've seen Orb before but you have to interact with it online.

Privacy Policy Changes

Orb reserves the right to change this privacy policy from time to time and will post any revisions on the Site located at the URL www.orb.com/privacy. We encourage you to review this Orb privacy policy regularly for any changes. Your continued use of this Site will be subject to the then-current Orb privacy policy.

What We Collect and How We Use It

Generally, you may visit this Site without providing Orb with any personally identifiable information. However, in certain sections of this Site, we may invite you to submit questions or comments or request information. Due to the nature of some of these activities, we may ask that you complete and submit an online form with personally identifiable information such as your name, address, phone number, company name, operating system, mobile devices and email address. Your personally identifiable information may be used to deliver certain services or information you have requested, verify your authority to enter certain password protected areas of the Site, and improve the content and general administration of the Site. If you request that Orb send certain information to a friend, Orb may ask you to submit your friend's email address and Orb will only use such email address to send the requested information.

Too much with the personally identifiable information. I don't want to share with them.

dvn,
I was using ORB and find that initially it worked pretty good. I mainly used it for streaming DVD's to my iPhone as I use HTPC's inside the house. THere privacy policy seems much worse than there implementation. I ended up removing it as it became prolematic and stopped streaming to my iPhone. I really hate streamers. Nothing like a direct connect. If anyone finds any of them that work let us know.

Seems like I'm just following pcdoc around agreeing with him, but I have to say I hate streamers too. They just don't work often enough and I always end up asking myself after a long googling adventure why I bother when SMB works just fine.

There are times when I can't get away from them though, as in the case of the iPhone. I am using Air Video for that, which only supports iPod/iPhone, but since everything else can do SMB, I am ok with that. Also tried a long list of other stuff which didn't work like WMC and Tversity, and I think I am done in that area for now until something truly universal comes along.

Thanks guys. Your experiences reinforce what I think. That said, I'm still open to a good streaming solution, but definitely want to stay away from sharing my personal info with 3rd party databases.

Seems like there was one for music called fireplay? I am pretty sure it received good reviews. I don't use any streamers so I can't help with personal experience. I have pretty much given up on streaming to my xbox. Just too many problems and the UI sucks.

Yes, Internet streaming from WHS is somewhat flaky. It works, but not well. As for streaming on the LAN, Twonky can't compare with Media Center which works great.

I could never get Twonky to work. I use Media Center for most of my streaming. I use Air Video for streaming to my iPod Touch. I am waiting for my ipad to see how it works.

Regards,
Ethan