RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ultraviolet vs Blu-Ray - Time to Rethink?

IndyLux

Blu-Ray vs Ultraviolet  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Blu-Ray or Ultraviolet

• I only like Blu-Ray
    • I only like Ultraviolet
    • I use or plan to use both
    • I don't use either
  2. 2. Have you tried Ultraviolet?

I am a longtime home server user and a digital media hoarder.  I have been buying DVDs and ripping them onto my server for years.  When Blu-ray came along, I started doing the same.  Now along comes Ultraviolet (I use Vudu) and I am starting to rethink my movie collection.

The cloud is fast becoming my world.  My documents are all on SkyDrive and my pictures will soon follow.  I have an Xbox music pass (yes, it's a train wreck, but I think they'll figure it out soon) and rarely use my local music files anymore.  I watch a lot of Netflix and my server DVD/Blu-Ray collection has started to get neglected a little bit. 

Let me list my Pros and Cons of each then we can discuss.

Blu-Ray Pros
You OWN a physical copy
Instantly available (at home)
Great Picture and Sound

Blu-Ray Cons
Have to pay for playback software
Have to pay for ripping software
Have to manage storage of physical discs
Have to manage storage of disc images
Have to buy hard drives to store images
Transcoding can be challenging (go ahead, mock me)
DRM (UV is DRM'd but it doesn't get in the way as much)

Ultraviolet Pros
Great Picture (HDX-1080p)
5.1 sound (Xbox, Roku, etc)
Disc to digital $2
In the Cloud
Easy to manage
Can share collection with family
Can play anywhere on devices
Vudu-to-go

Ultraviolet Cons

Don't 'own' anything physical
Limited devices supported (so far)
Requires reliable bandwidth

Edited by IndyLux

The Ultraviolet CON of requiring reliable bandwidth is the show stopper for me (literally).  I live in a rural area and I do not have the bandwidth available for video from the cloud.

The convulsion around the ultraviolet not to mention the adds, different accounts, and the biggest deterrent is quality.  I paid for a BD, I want a BD quality

The convulsion around the ultraviolet not to mention the adds, different accounts, and the biggest deterrent is quality.  I paid for a BD, I want a BD quality

Not sure what you mean by 'convulsion around the ultraviolet', I have NEVER seen an advertisement, am only using Vudu for now (a handful of movies are missing).

My big question is when was the last time you watched a title and was it in HDX?  HDX is full 1080p and I have a hard time seeing a difference.

I am sitting at my TV watching Prometheus on bluray on my HTPC and HDX Vudu on my Xbox on two different inputs on my receiver. I'm switching between the two and there are very small differences. The HTPC is slightly louder and brighter (both settings that can be adjusted). The contrast on the Xbox actually looks a little better to my eye. You should try this yourself if you have the same gear.

I think that I was a hoarder at one time myself.  For me I finally came to my senses and realized that I was wasting my time ripping video to my server.  The reason?  In my family when we watch a movie we don't ever watch it again.  We know how it ends!  There are some movies that we may watch again several years down the road.  But by that time we will probably just go out and rent it on whatever media is in fashion at that time to view it.  Those discs are expensive to buy too!  Put the money in your retirement account.

Please don't throw rocks at me!

For movies, TV shows, and other media you don't own, I agree that UV can be a good alternative, provided you have sufficient bandwidth and no caps. For personal info like photos, documents, etc., I want mine kept within my own jurisdiction.

I don't think the laws around online storage are sufficiently ironed out for them to be trusted. What happens if the company holding your personal info decides to move all the data they hold to an offshore data farm? Who owns it then? What are the laws governing it at that point? Presumably, the country in which the data farm resides has some say in what happens to that data. My feeling is, "Not with my data you don't".

I think that I was a hoarder at one time myself.  For me I finally came to my senses and realized that I was wasting my time ripping video to my server.  The reason?  In my family when we watch a movie we don't ever watch it again.  We know how it ends!  There are some movies that we may watch again several years down the road.  But by that time we will probably just go out and rent it on whatever media is in fashion at that time to view it.  Those discs are expensive to buy too!  Put the money in your retirement account.

Please don't throw rocks at me!

I generally agree. We have watched Avatar a few times, mostly cause it's so beautiful to look at, and The Hunt For Red October as well, cause it's a good story, well told. Blade Runner and Blazing Saddles have gotten some replay as well, but there aren't a lot of movies that get replayed more than once. After all, there is always new content coming out and there are only so many hours in a day.

Not sure what you mean by 'convulsion around the ultraviolet', I have NEVER seen an advertisement, am only using Vudu for now (a handful of movies are missing).

My big question is when was the last time you watched a title and was it in HDX?  HDX is full 1080p and I have a hard time seeing a difference.

Vudu is certainly the best and the HDX is pretty awesome but I do not associated Ultraviolet with Vudu.  Ultraviolet is a bit messy.  HDX and soon to be the new HD standard from Netflix will raise the bar but to me those are different arguments.

I see, I'm using Vudu and Ultraviolet interchangeably. I'm still trying to understand the exact hierarchy, but I understand that Ultraviolet manages the permissions and shows that I 'own' a movie. Vudu actually delivers the content. So an HDX video from Vudu uses Ultraviolet to grant me access. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.