RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FTP options into EX490 from WAN

Jamr

Thanks for the info. I tried all of the variations and none of it connected??

Very weird because I can still connect with Filezilla but not get into the one folder I need to.

Edited by Jamr

How are you checking the permissions, using the DashBoard, or through Windows Security?

jmwills, could this be a discrepancy between a permissions wizard and the gold standard method of drilling down to the folders and checking security on them?

I checked by right clicking on the folder and going to security i think it was called.. I noticed that the folder I do not have access to and others I have access to via FZ do not have my account in the security settings. So I added my account and made it the same as the Administration account. This had no effect. I still have no access to the one folder. It makes no sense.

You would have to restart the session or reapply (flush) the permissions on the folder.  Share Permissions would be set to Everyone/Full and Security as needed.

A good practice would be to use a dedicated FTP account and not one that has full access to everyone.  Remember, all of this is being sent in the clear, no encryption.

You would have to restart the session or reapply (flush) the permissions on the folder.  Share Permissions would be set to Everyone/Full and Security as needed.

A good practice would be to use a dedicated FTP account and not one that has full access to everyone.  Remember, all of this is being sent in the clear, no encryption.

Jim, thanks for the info.

Please explain "dedicated FTP account and how do I create one. 

Also, these are just media files. Do you know of a reason I should be weary of sending these files without encryption?

A dedicated account is just a normal account with sufficient read/write permissions to the FTP folder.  That account should not be used for anything else.

Exactly. Don't get stressed about a dedicated account. As jmwills said, the only unique thing about it is that the account is given permissions to the root FTP folder and its subfolders, and basically nothing else. Moreover, other accounts on the server typically are not given permissions to the FTP tree. In your case this might change a bit because your copying video files. You have to decide which accounts need permissions to various folders.