RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FTP options into EX490 from WAN

Jamr

Sorry for the confusion as I tried to get a quick answer on another post. I am bringing my question here in the proper forum.

I have replaced an old 4Tb NAS with my old trusty EX490 at a remote location. I have periodic access to this location. 

Prior to replacing the NAS I was using FileZilla to upload gig+ files to it. This worked fine, slow but fine.

I then replaced the NAS with my 490.

I can connect to the server and have tried to upload files to it using the WHS interface and it is quite troublesome and slow.

After replacing my NAS with my 490 I have since found out that WHS has a built in FTP server in it. I have investigated it and found it on by default and the firewall is exceptioned it on port 20 and 21.

I have also port forwarded 20 and 21 to the WHS IP. 

Using FileZilla I have tried to connect to the WHS and cannot using either port.

I would like to use the built in FTP service in WHS unless it has some kind of problem or is slow then I would entertain different FTP services or ideas as to how to do this task.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to get FZ to connect or any other ideas to make this happen, please let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Jamr.

When I do a quick Google search for "whs ftp server" I get a couple of blog postings that suggest installing the FileZilla server on the WHS.  Since you are not having any luck with the IIS FTP server and you want to use FileZilla maybe it makes sense to try the FileZilla server.

http://computingondemand.com/filezilla-ftp-server-on-whs/

The other thing I would say is that you don't seem to have tried out the other stings for the server. If My Network doesn't work, you should try others. Your theory that your router settings will make outside clients appear to be on your LAN may be correct, but it also may not be.

The other thing I would say is that you don't seem to have tried out the other stings for the server. If My Network doesn't work, you should try others. Your theory that your router settings will make outside clients appear to be on your LAN may be correct, but it also may not be.

Please explain "stings". If the my router is not doing it's job, are you suggesting switching it with another?

OK i found something I missed and turned on and walaaah, I am able to connect. In the firewall/advanced/LAN Settings/ the FTP was unchecked.

Now I am able to connect but it is not pulling up the listing data. Here is the FTP status as it connects and gives me the error. (I have X out the IP)
Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:    220 Microsoft FTP Service
Command:    USER Administrator
Response:    331 Password required for Administrator.
Command:    PASS ********
Response:    230 User Administrator logged in.
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/" is current directory.
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 Type set to I.
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (XXX,XXX,XXX,XXX,19,137).
Command:    LIST
Response:    125 Data connection already open; Transfer starting.
Error:    Connection timed out
Error:    Failed to retrieve directory listing

I am not sure what these errors mean. I am pretty sure that it is a setting in FZ that is not correct.

Edited by Jamr

Jumping in late, but no FTP software is needed in order to FTP.  Once you establish the connection, everything can be done thru Explorer or a Web Browser.

Jumping in late, but no FTP software is needed in order to FTP.  Once you establish the connection, everything can be done thru Explorer or a Web Browser.

I have not checked on this yet, but if this is true then why use FileZilla? I love the fact that there is a que so I can set it and forget it. Can I also do this with the browser?