RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

Running Taxing Software on WHS

upsidedowncake

Hello again.  Wanted to pick everyone's brain about if they run taxing software (rendering software in this case) on their WHS.  The render software runs the CPU close to 100% for quite a long time, but I'm wondering if this can really cause any damage.  I've read in other forums about people keeping their storage server just that, and building separate application servers.  No troubleshooting this time, just a question  :)   Thanks.

jmwills

Nothing wrong with it as long as you can stand the lag time in accessing other programs.

upsidedowncake

Okay great.  I don't see that as an issue, will mostly be setting them up to run over night.  I'm getting a motherboard with two Xeon slots, but only have one at the moment.  If I choose to go this route will probably buy a second down the road.

ikon

I think a second processor would help quite a bit.

upsidedowncake

Agreed, would give me 8 cores instead of 4, 12 if I decided to upgrade both.  Cooling will be my biggest concern, but that's just a matter of researching the right after market item.  Any suggestions would be great, currently using a stock intel cooler since I'm not running anything on the CPU that would justify anything else.

jmwills

This was where SBS as great.  They gave you a second license to run a Terminal Server setup and come in thru the main portal page.

upsidedowncake

I'm really not familiar with that.  Most of the rendering programs I run have network clients, although I've never tried this with WHS.  I see no reason that server would be any different than another windows pc, where it just 'donates' the cores to the pc running the main render.