RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

IcyDock Enclosure mentioned in recent podcast.

kylejwx

Hey Dave mentioned an enclosure that he uses to mirror his OS drive on two 2.5” drives.  I am thinking that it is an IcyDock, but does anyone know the model?  Also, how does this work? Do you need two SATA cables to attach it?  I only have two SATAIII ports on my motherboard so I didn’t want to use both of them for the OS. 

Can anyone comment on setting up RAID in this situation? Is it just automatic when you put two hard drives or do you have to configure it?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jcollison

• theamazontom

• jmwills

• ikon

Hey Dave mentioned an enclosure that he uses to mirror his OS drive on two 2.5” drives.  I am thinking that it is an IcyDock, but does anyone know the model?  Also, how does this work? Do you need two SATA cables to attach it?  I only have two SATAIII ports on my motherboard so I didn’t want to use both of them for the OS. 

Can anyone comment on setting up RAID in this situation? Is it just automatic when you put two hard drives or do you have to configure it?

The show notes are here with links to an extesive discussion on the IcyDock Dave was talking about http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-discussed-on-the-home-server-show.html

Follow the links in http://homeservershow.com/the-icy-dock-mb982spr-25-dual-2-5-raid-enclosure.html

I ran one of these to mirror the OS on my server for about 9 months.  To me, it seemed to cause more problems than it was worth.  I had constant problems with my server backups that, it seemed to me anyway, were related to the jmicron software used for the enclosure.  As soon as I removed the thing and uninstalled the jmicron software, all was well.

I'm not an IT person by trade, but I could never really understand why I needed to mirror the OS since it was being backed up using WHS 2011 server backup.  If the OS got borked on one drive, wouldn't the mirror be borked as well?

I took the thing out and put the second drive on a shelf as a spare.  If the current OS drive fails, I'll use server backup to restore the OS to the spare drive.  You guys that really know something feel free to correct me if my logic is wrong.