RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

dual drive frankenserver backups

sisniper

Hi Guys

thanks for any advice you can give

Ive got a limited dual drive system its basic but suits my purposes (for now)

Its a nettop with internal 500GB Drive and external 500GB 2.5 inch caddy using eSATA.

I however want to take an offiste backup , in which case im wondering if i can simply purchase another external caddy and swap the two around every week or so ?

Or is this going to break my server

Thanks Si

You're saying you have a nettop-based WHS? If so, what is the purpose of your external drive? Server backup? If this is indeed the case, you should be fine.

that's right,
If the drive is not part of the pool and/or your not using Folder Duplication, just using the drive to backup your shares, then yes you can swap the non pooled drive.

Haowever if you did add the drive to the pool and/or using Folder Duplication, then no.

You could use an external USB drive and not add it to the pool, whereby now you could use that drive as a non pooled drive and just use it to copy the Shares, then you can take that drive offsite, leaving your pooled drives intact.

hi dvn

heard your name mentioned on the podcast - honored for the response

yes - indeed i have a Acer Revo based whs, came about as it was the only machine i had available. The external drive is connected via eSATA (this machine only has 1 internal drive), and configured as my secondary whs data drive (so part of the pool)

im thinking of disconnecting this, re connecting a blank new drive in its own caddy then let it repair itself, the following week i connect the original drive back and it synchs back from the master drive....

hope this explains what im trying to achieve

OR do i need to backup to another external caddy for this scenario

@sisniper - The honor is mine. :)

Interesting coincidence: I also have an Acer Revo w/Atom 330 which I'm using it as an HTPC. I never thought to try WHS on it. I will definitely have to try this out.

Diehard is right. The only way you can safely disconnect a drive (internal or external) that is part of the storage pool is to remove it via WHS console. Go to Server Storage tab, highlight the drive and click 'Remove'. The process can take some time, depending on the amount of stored data, as all the data is moved off the drive being removed. Once that is done, you can safely disconnect your eSATA drive. Of course, you'll only do this if the total amount of data currently stored in WHS is less than 500 GB, since that's the size of your internal drive.

But, I'm not sure this is what you had in mind.

So you have a choice to make. If you like having 1 TB of storage as you have now, go buy a USB external drive (or two), add it as a backup drive (not storage pool), and use it for server and BDBB backups. You can then disconnect this non-pooled drive without trashing WHS. And you'll be able to implement your plan to rotate backup drives off-site.

thanks

the idea was to use the external as a hot swap drive so this wont work, will get another USB drive for either backing up to or copying over from the pool.

the only concern of the revo is the long term life of the cooling fan, like laptops they will soon suffer from wear and become noisy and or fail over prolonged period of constant use, but waiting for vail to arrive and then buy a rackmount server or HP server

thanks

Si

Anyone who is interested, I have tried a laptop as WHS before. Built-in battery backup, small power profile, small size... what's not to love, right? Turns out I was wrong about almost everything. The battery doesn't protect the external drives you will inevitably have, so that's a wash. If you have eSATA on your laptop maybe you can get decent transfer speeds, but chances are you are going to be on USB. Normal operations are not too bad but demigrator takes hours and if ever a drive should fail, the removal process will take days.

The moral of the story is: I converted it to a full desktop eventually. I don't think I can recommend doing this on a production setup. It's fun to try, but ultimately it's not going to be worth the hassle to run.

@roddy - gotcha. I may still try it as a of evaluating whether I like the performance of an Atom-powered WHS. This would be something I'd give to my daughter if it performed all the basics well. She wouldn't be hacking it with all kinds of add-ins and untested apps. :)

@sisniper - Whoa...I just noticed you said 500 GB internal drive. Want to explain? You cracked open your Revo and swapped the hard drive? Got pics of the internals?

yep 500gb sata , piece of cake but warranty sticker is broken, heard differnt viewpoints on warranty support if it breaks down the road

will post some pictures later, would suggest that you set the whs to enter standby when not active to save the life on cpu fan

si