RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Multiple questions

Unguided

Hello all and thanks for responses. Just a few questions regarding ws2012e.

1. Is it possible to have more than one ws2012e server running at the same time?

2. What is the best way to use ws2012e if you have multiple wmc htpc's and want them to be able to share recordings? Domain vs               workgroup?

3. Is it possible to move/archive recordings to ws2012e?

4. Workgroup vs Domain advantages and disadvantages?

I realize these are short questions with very long answers but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Unguided

Guest no-control

1. Yes, but not in the same domain

2. Create a share for recordedTV, create an HTPC user account and give it permissions to access the share. (weird question, as this has nothing to do with domain vs. workgroup)

3. Yes

4. Considering you're required to have a domain with WS2012e I don't see a point to the question.

1. Yes, but not in the same domain

2. Create a share for recordedTV, create an HTPC user account and give it permissions to access the share. (weird question, as this has nothing to do with domain vs. workgroup)

3. Yes

4. Considering you're required to have a domain with WS2012e I don't see a point to the question.

I apologize for question number 2. that was supposed to be the start of question 4. For number 2 & 3, I thought wmc would not allow you to archive to ws2012e. Was that just with thte beta or rc? I have read other forum posts. I must have been mistaken? Thanks for the reply

Guest no-control

You can move files yes, not sure what you mean by archive isn't that just moving a file? To clarify, you can locate the files on the server and point HTPCs to use that folder for playback. I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to. Specifics?

You can move files yes, not sure what you mean by archive isn't that just moving a file? To clarify, you can locate the files on the server and point HTPCs to use that folder for playback. I'm not sure what limitations you're referring to. Specifics?

Ok. I was referring to archiving in wmc 7. There is an option to archive to whs in wmc. I thought that function was gone in ws2012e. What I would really like to do is just record to a network share but I dont believe that is gonna happen. As long as I can move recordings from htpc A to the server to be viewed on htpc B or archived, I assume that htpc A can "see" htrpc B when they are both joined to the domain. 

You should be able to add the same network share on the server to both HTPCs. Any files stored in the share will be visible to both HTPCs.

great. thanks for the information

If I wasn't clear, I meant adding the shared folder to the Media Libraries in WMC.

I kind of figured thats what you meant. I read in earlier forums, that you couldnt share recordings etc once wmc was joined to the domain. That must have been in beta or rc. thanks for the information

Hmmm, I'm not sure about recordings. I do recall there being something about not being able to play a TV show recorded on one WMC computer on another WMC computer. I guess I missed that these are TV recordings. I was more thinking of a movie file being stored on the server.