RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

using a n40l for modifiedstorage system

jbates58

hi all.

just wondering if the n40l has sata ports? from looking at the board, it appears to only have a sas port. i am after a heap of sata ports.

i want to use it as an ubuntu based server, running my own usenet index, and sabnzb, sickbeard etc... aswell as have a heap storage. im just wondering if this supports port multiplication, and how many drives at most i can get it to work with? im hoping to use some of those 1 in, 5 out types. at the moment, my pc has 8 drives plugged into it, and i want to expand it further.

the drives will be joined together using flexraid, as i use it now on windows and have no issues with it. and the os on the server will be ubuntu, as the usenet indexer works better under linux.

i am happy to put this in a different case, and modify to suit. i just need a cheap solution to my needs. also, how much power does it consume at full tilt?

cheers

jbates58

The N40L has 6 SATA ports. The connector on the motherboard you referred to is actually an SFF8087-to-4SATA breakout connector. The 4 SATA drive slots in the main drive cage connect to it. The 5th SATA port is a single one on the motherboard, close to the SFF8087 connector. The 6th SATA port is the eSATA port that comes out the back of the unit.

With a 3rd party modified BIOS, the eSATA port can become multi-port capable, so it would be possible to attach a multi-drive enclosure.

Something else you might want to consider is one or more of these connected to a third party USB 3.0 card.

http://www.hotway.com.tw/products/h8r2-su3s2.htm

I desperately want to get some of these for myself and have been looking at them for a while.

:)

I purchased my first N40L about 4 or 5 months ago with 4X3TB drives and a RAID card and they are nearly full already. :)

Another option for external enclosures, and my personal favourite ATM, is the Lian-Li EX-503 (USB3 & eSATA). A number of forum members have them and I don't believe any of them regret buying them. http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=549&cl_index=12&sc_index=42&ss_index=115

I wish they mad them with a NIC. If they did I would have to get one.

while the USB unit looks the goods, I imagine that it is $$$. will the 6 port SAS support multipliers, if I break it out to 6 multipliers? I am after a lot of storage, incorporating what I already have (7x3tb and 3tb parity) aswell as further expansion. as I get best value for money drives, 4rb isn't worth it yet. but will expand them into it in the future.

The Cheapest I've found the Hotway 8 bay RAID models is AUS$465 odd. But then as I'm not really in a position to buy them yet I haven't gone hard looking for the best deal. Not sure where you are jbates58, but if you're in the states I'm sure that you could find them cheaper. :)

If anyone has money to spare and needs loads and loads and loads of storage we could all dribble over this ... http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/ $7384 for 135TB of storage. :D