RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Backup Failing

KiwiGlen

I've got a Dell XPS 12 Convertible Laptop (I'm really loving it!!!) but I've got one problem, I can't get W2012e to back it up!!

I'm getting the following error in the event log on the client computer, I've searched the net and I can't find anything useful.  There are no errors on server.  Anybody got any ideas?  This is driving me up the wall. 

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:

Gathering Writer Data

Context:

Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}

Writer Name: System Writer

Writer Instance ID: {be3e6235-8808-4786-8740-5f78d5eff24a}

Yes its an SSD, if you start the backup from the launchpad its says 1% and then says failed and the error message I listed in the event log

im having the same issue and it only affects 1 of my desktops which is the one that has a ssd, im thinking it has someting to do with the ssd, if you find something post here since i am having the same issue

Edited by peste19

Interestingly, I'm getting a similar (not identical) error trying to back up my Surface Pro, which obviously has an SSD. However, I have 4 other computers in the house that have SSDs and they all work fine.

Oh, yes. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PUT THE CLIENT BACKUP DATABASE ON STORAGE SPACES. 

Or in MSFT's words "Storage Spaces is meant for long term storage, not databases".

"Storage Spaces is meant for long term storage, not databases".

Translation: We couldn't make it work as well as we should have so we've had to finesse it by saying it's for long-term storage.

Or outlook files, or exchange, or SQL, or....

Better translation: we needed more time, but Balmer gave us a hard deadline... and we didn't want Dri--err, Storage Spaces to die again.