RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012E/WMC/HTPC

Unguided

Hello all and thanks in advance for reading. I am looking at setting up ws2012e as a home server. I have two WMC htpc's and four HDHomerun prime network attached tv tuners. What I would like to do is centralize the recordings directory from the WMC htpcs to be located on the server. Can I do this? Or, Can I set up the ws2012e server to do the recordings and just play them back on the wmc htpc's? The HDHR's are DLNA certified but not sure if this makes a difference. I also bought the hp proliant N40L but dont think this is gonna be fast enough to keep up with the recordings. Can anyone advise on the central location for the recordings or centralizing ws2012e to do the recordings and/or on whether the n40l would be fats enough to keep up with the recordings? I have also thought about using the n40l as the htpc's in the house. Any thoughts? Thanks

You can certainly centralize your media file storage using WHS2011. Many members, including me, are doing that. Many of us are also using MyMovies to organise our media collections.

You can certainly centralize your media file storage using WHS2011. Many members, including me, are doing that. Many of us are also using MyMovies to organise our media collections.

Ok. What I was hoping to do was tell wmc to record directly to the server that way I did not have to have a seperate recording drive on each htpc. Sorry about cross posting. I thought the categories were seperated. Sorry about that. What are your thoughts on the rest of the post?

I'm really hesitant to say anything about WMC recording, because I haven't done it for so long I don't remember for sure. But, IIRC, you indeed can specify a network shared folder as the target for TV recordings. But, you should wait for confirmation those who have done it more recently.

I'm really hesitant to say anything about WMC recording, because I haven't done it for so long I don't remember for sure. But, IIRC, you indeed can specify a network shared folder as the target for TV recordings. But, you should wait for confirmation those who have done it more recently.

Great. You virtually need nothing for hardware specs for the wmc htpc. If I can specify a network share then that would really cut down on the specs. An ssd and mobo, quiet and small = perfect. I will wait for more information. Thanks for the fast reply.

Here is my understanding of the matter:

W7 WMC (and I presume W8) will not allow you to record directly to a network share, so you need a Local disk to handle recording.

With WHS2011 there is an option in WMC to archive (move, not copy) recordings to the server automatically on completion.

With 2012SE this option no longer exists, which is a shame.

Thanks renny. I know WMC will let you specify network shares as Media Libraries, for playing video/audio files, but I couldn't recall if that applied to recording as well.

Here is my understanding of the matter:

W7 WMC (and I presume W8) will not allow you to record directly to a network share, so you need a Local disk to handle recording.

With WHS2011 there is an option in WMC to archive (move, not copy) recordings to the server automatically on completion.

With 2012SE this option no longer exists, which is a shame.

That stinks. Thanks for the Renny

That stinks. Thanks for the Renny

You should be able to test this easily by going into WMC Settings and see what options there are for Recording.

• 2 months later...

Direct recording to network drives is definitely not available from Windows 7.

However, I have a VBS script that moves Recorded TV to my WS2012E system every hour.