RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
USCMitch

Hard Drive Issues

USCMitch

Greetings all. I'm back again with what I hope is a simple issue.

Issue: Earlier this evening, I all of a sudden received a message that one of my HDD was "missing". After a re-boot it came back, only to disappear again. I think this may be a power issue as I have both storage drives running off of the same Molex cable. Easy fix.

However, in trouble shooting this I discovered the below, specifically the F: drive/Disk 0:

DriveSnapShot.png

This drive should be exactly the same as G:/Drive 2.  However, I think the issue was when I initially made the newb mistake of having the server to back-up to an internal drive. This is why the partitioning resembles the C: drive. 

All that being said, how do I fix it? I'm formatting the disk via the command line now. Should this work? If not, what is the fix.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

ikon

Server Backup requires a dedicated drive. You can't use a portion of a drive for Server Backup and the rest for something else.

Is Disk0 supposed to be a mirror of Disk2?

USCMitch

Server Backup requires a dedicated drive. You can't use a portion of a drive for Server Backup and the rest for something else.

Is Disk0 supposed to be a mirror of Disk2?

I learned about the dedicated drive the hard way.   :D

Is the EFI partition a remnant when I tried to use it for server back-up? 

I'd like for it to be a mirror for Disk2, but the extra partitions are complicating things. Since I originally posted the above, I have gotten it down to just one partition: the EFI section and the rest of the disk. But I cannot seem to get rid of the 100MB EFI.

ikon

Do you know how to use DiskPart to clean a drive: i.e. get rid of all partitions?

USCMitch

Do you know how to use DiskPart to clean a drive: i.e. get rid of all partitions?

That's what I've been coming across and am trying to learn more about it.

Is that the best solution?

ikon

DiskPart Clean will make the drive like new. In fact, when connected to a Windows computer again, the drive will have to be Initialized.

You have to be a little careful about doing this because, if you have multiple drives in a system, it's fairly easy to Clean the wrong one.

One way to help avoid issues is to make the drive to be cleaned appear unique. You can:

1. minimize the number of drives in a system. If there are only 2 drives, then it's easier to identify the proper target drive.
  2. if the drive is the only one of a particular size, it will stand out better.
  3. if the drive is the only drive connected to the computer via USB it will be easier to identify.

​The process itself is very easy:

1. attach the drive to a Windows computer
  2. start a CMD prompt with elevated privileges (press the WinKey, type CMD, right-click on CMD and select Run As Administrator)
  3. in the command window, type diskpart
  4. at the DiskPart prompt, type list disk
  5. in the list of drives, find the number of the drive to be Cleaned
  6. type select disk <#> (substitute the drive number from step 5 for <#>)
  7. type clean

That's it. Normally, it takes less than a minute to clean a drivel.

USCMitch

Will try this today. Thanks so much.

Will let you know if all goes well.

ikon

Thanks; looking forward to hearing your results.

USCMitch

Thanks; looking forward to hearing your results.

Worked like a charm.

Super easy.

Thanks again.

USCMitch

One other quick, semi-related question.

I've decided to switch to mirroring my data drive and not use Drivepool. Everything is fine, but the pool virtual drive H: is still present even though there are no longer any drives in the pool. How do I get rid of this?

I deleted the volume in Disk Management but the virtual "Disk 3" is still there.

Nevermind. Found the solution. Uninstalling the Drivepool add-in removed the virtual drive. 

Finally, back to a nice, clean looking Dashboard.

Edited by USCMitch