RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving XP Pro Machine in Win7 Pro XP Mode to Hyper-V

Joe_Miner

Has anyone moved their XP Pro Machine in XP-Mode on Win 7 Pro to Hyper-V when upgrading their Win 7 Pro machine to Win 8 Pro? Any ideas on how?

Thanks!

From the chatter I am reading on the web, you can, but it will try to activate and there is no key to activate it. If I remember correctly on Win 7 Pro, XP mode activates off the Win 7 key. It would be interesting to see if a old XP Pro 64 key would work on it? But if you had a XP Pro 64 key you could just create a new VM with it in Hyper V. Do you actively use the XP mode and have apps and data in it?

The XP mode download was for Virtual PC not Hyper V. Here is a discussion;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w8itprovirt/thread/a0a8ccd4-6f54-41bc-b679-7ae23ac1e653

Thanks for the link. There is indeed a lot a chatter out there about this.

Pulled all the HD's from my desktop and did a clean win8 install on a spare HD to see if there were any issues -- Gigabyte hasn't released Win 8 drivers for my X58 yet so I wanted to see if anything I cared about didn't work.

So far so good. Just got Hyper-V running on my X58! Yeh!

Edited by Joe_Miner

I have run this before some time ago, but for "other" reasons than the obvious.... Ok, so my work laptop blocked me from doing certain things. I used XP Mode to get around it... However, now the Symantec Antivirus software that they manage on our laptops is actually capable of blocking your VMs access through the virtual nic... lol. Anyway, so the point is that i dont use it anymore. But out of curiosity, I downloaded it again. instead of installing it, I extracted it using 7zip. Once extracted, there is a file under "Sources" called "xpm". So I extracted that once again with 7zip. Once that one is extracted there are two files of interest... One is called VirtualXPVHD. I believe this is an uncompressed VHD file that you could just rename to Whatever.vhd and use in Hyper-V (though you should also be able to get the VHD from your existing XP mode since Virtual PC which is used to run XP Mode uses VHD files). The other file of interest is... well... called "KEY" if you open it with notepad... well... it appears it may contain what you need? I haven't tested it. I don't have anything running Hyper-V with me here. But it all seems easy enough... lol, like just because it seems easy, it must be... Anyway, if no one is able to test it before I am, I'll let you know the results. But I'm curious to see how this turns out...

Thanks,

Richard