RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB Nic for the microserver?

Beansontoast

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with any USB nic's for this unit, and if so, would it let you team with the NIC which comes with this unit.

It would be good to avoid taking up one of the expansion slots in this way.

Advise appreciated ....

While I'm pretty sure you could find a USB NIC, I think it's unlikely it would be able to do Loop-bonding ('Teaming' as you say) with the internal NIC. You also have to be concerned that your Ethernet switch can 1) do 'teaming' and 2) can do 'teaming' that's compatible with the server NIC(s).

Faster I can understand ... but usually in home networks what could be achieved by this redundancy? rarely at home would one see multiple reduntant switches, especially managed switches. :) What are you planning Beansontoast? I'm just curious that's all. :)

Traditional NIC teaming requires that all NIC ports came from the same vendor, they're of the same type, and they support the feature.

AFAIK, only WinSvr 2012 supports vendor-agnostic NIC teaming.

Faster I can understand ... but usually in home networks what could be achieved by this redundancy? rarely at home would one see multiple reduntant switches, especially managed switches. :) What are you planning Beansontoast? I'm just curious that's all. :)

To be honest, even a speed increase is pretty hard to justify for a home network.

To be honest, it's really for test purposes and seeing what can and can't be achieved.

I work on the 'fringe' of server support so was wondering what I can or can't achieve at home.

Don't really want to fork out a second-hand G5 for example if the N40L can go some way to doing this.

The bigger question really is USB-NIC compatibility  (forgetting about teaming for a minute) and whether anyone has used one without issue. I can live without the teaming aspect ..... just thought I would throw that into the ring whilst I was posting .....