RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
upsidedowncake

Read/Write Speeds RocketRaid 2720SGL

upsidedowncake

No, you are right.  Those results do look pretty good, what strikes me as odd is that I don't get near that 'real world' so to speak.  I would expect to get somewhere in the ballpark but it doesn't seem that I do.  Think I'm just hoping for more but actually getting what I should?

ikon

Here, for what it's worth, is what I see.

Since the array seems to be able to write at ~200 MB/sec, the only thing I can think of is that the ~75 MB/sec your getting is due to the size of the files being transferred. IOW, larger files might achieve a higher average rate. Generally, a fewer number of large files will have a higher average transfer rate than a large number of small files, even though the total amount of data being transferred is identical.

The ~100 MB/sec writing to the non-array disks probably represents the max write rate of those disks. IOW, the array could read faster, but the target drives can't accept it any faster.

That's my 2 cents. I would love to hear what others think.

upsidedowncake

Appreciate the feedback.  Would like to see what anyone else thinks as well.  Based on the benchmark, the array is operating just fine, I'd be happy with those speeds.  It's just that 75 MB/sec tried on two different tests that has me puzzled.  I'll run some benchmarks on the other drives in the server too to see what if anything I learn from it as what you say makes perfect sense.

upsidedowncake

Ikon,  I think you were right on the money.  The benchmarks on the Raid 1 array, the C: drive were basically 80 MB/s read/write, and the benchmarks on the F: drive were 120 MB/s read/write.  Based on all of this, it seems the bottleneck wasn't the raid, it was the drives I was copying to/from.  It doesn't necessarily explain the discrepancy I saw in the transfer to/from speeds, but largely seems to account for it.

ikon

Seems like it's pretty much wrapped up. :)

upsidedowncake

Seems so, one more topic done!  Next step will be to attack the Raid 1 a bit.  I know Raid 1's are slower, I had a heck of a time installing to a RAID 0 array so getting that to work is sort of the next step.  I don't need the redundancy on the boot drive.

ikon

Trouble? Why?

upsidedowncake

For whatever reason, the RAID 0 would initialize fine, the windows server install disc would start and the install would fail every single time, before even really starting.  I switched it to a RAID 1, and boom the install worked fine.  Never explained it, just lived with it since it worked.

ikon

Do you have another couple of drives you could test with? I suspect you had drive problems. In a proper RAID0, data is written to both drives concurrently. If one of the drives has issues, it can mess up the whole thing.

If I was going to conduct a test like that myself, I would definitely SpinRite the 2 drives on Level 4 first, just so I know they're both OK. I like to eliminate as many variables as I can before I conduct a test.

Obviously, your question is going to be, "But RAID1 writes to both drives too; why did that work?". Fair question. I'm not certain, but I suspect there is something different in the way RAID0 and RAID1 use the drives. So, if you do have 2 other drives, why not give it a shot? BTW, I would disconnect all the other drives before trying it. Just sayin..... :)

upsidedowncake

I don't have two other drives I can test unfortunately, none that I'd like to wipe anyway.  But from the sounds of it, I need to run some sort of test on nearly all of my drives haha. Just to be safe.  

I was reading on a few other forums with people saying SpinRite can't handle drives above 500 GB as it hasn't been updated since 2006.  I assume however that you've used it on large drives?